Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HeRpLoViNgIrL   Mampam   Gottee guy   Downhillgoon   TJP   Crocodylus   TJP   Reedie   Crocodylus   Lolaowns   DSchulten88   Crocke   Zachgator   Smooth frount lover  

Member  Message

HeRpLoViNgIrL
View Profile

How big do dwarf caimans get???

How big do dwarf caimans get? I want to get one but I need to know how big of an enclosure I should have before I get one. Also, are they as aggressive as the wild ones???

08/11/07  02:23pm

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: HeRpLoViNgIrL   In reference to Message Id: 1398941

like 5-6ft long

08/11/07  06:04pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

i think they get to about a few feet at most.where do you get them from? iíd say at least an 100 gallon aquarium and also wide enough to swim around with a basking area and a heat lamp.

08/13/07  10:34pm

Downhillgoon
View Profile

When it comes to crocodilian, if you have to ask size questions your not ready. Dont even start with fish tanks. Plan on building a 16 by 10 foot enclosure by the end of the year. And plan on getting bit A LOT. Caiman are extremely aggressive and should only be left to people with lots of experience. As for the enclosure, if you donít have half an acre to spare, then donít bother. And donít think that you can buy him now and deal with it as it comes, because it comes fast. Im forced to move out of my house so I can build the proper enclosure for my crocodilians. Just donít do it for the sake of the animal. I donít mean to sound harsh, its just how it is. Most of the people on this forum canít handle a crocodilian.

08/15/07  02:02am

TJP
View Profile

Message To: Downhillgoon   In reference to Message Id: 1404104

"Plan on building a 16 by 10 foot enclosure by the end of the year."

Why would she need to build a 16 by 10 foot enclosure for a dwarf caiman that will only grow a few inches a year at best? A 100 or 200 gallon aquarium would be fine for it, even after 5 years or more.
They donít grow fast, and they donít grow big.....5 or 6 feet will take years, if it ever reaches that size.
At 10 years old it will still only be 2 feet.
I have a friend that has a mors xís siam cross that is 7 years old and barely 4 feet. They donít grow that fast, especially a dwarf caiman.

09/28/07  02:37pm

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: TJP   In reference to Message Id: 1460660

TJP what are you talking about? 2ft in 10 years give me a break! Even Dwarf Caimans will grow at a half inch every month for the first few years. A 100 or 200 gal. Aquarium would last you 2 years max.
A well suited enclosure should be atleast 2-3 times the animals length in both length and width.

You should also know that there are two species of Dwarf Caiman- Paleosuchus Palpebrosus and Paleosuchus Trigonatus. Palpebrosus will usually max out at 3-4 foot Trigonatus are more like 4-5 feet on average.
So that still puts the minimum sized enclosure for a 3 ft Palpebrosus at 12í x 12í

As far as your friends Hybrid croc goes he is growing at the very slowest healthy growth rate. Either its genetics have just made that one a slow grower or his temps are too low.

Either way if anyone whose asking how large a caiman gets has done no where near the neccessary amount of research for keeping these animals. I wont argue that as hatchlings I find them easier to care for than alot of commonly kept lizards. However they quickly become more expensive and more complicated to care for as they grow. And you canít just get rid of them. Dwarf Caimans are just as nasty in captivity as in the wild, they are not by any means a Pet in the true sense of the word.

Do more research and then make an educated decision on purchasing an animal that may live longer than you will.

09/28/07  06:20pm

TJP
View Profile

Message To: Crocodylus   In reference to Message Id: 1460902

Sure, theyíll go through growth spurts at first, but after 10 years, itíll still be 2 feet or so.

"As far as your friends Hybrid croc goes he is growing at the very slowest healthy growth rate."

No, itís growing at a rate that hasnít been assisted by powerfeeding.

Then again, the breeders I know with 30 or 40 combined years of experience, both in the field and privately, could be wrong. Lets see, Iíve seen many of their animals, have done croc and caiman surveys with a few of them in Costa Rica, and have seen some of your previous posts. No offense, but Iím gonna have to stick with what they know, and what Iíve learned from them.

10/04/07  06:23pm

Reedie
View Profile

Message To: TJP   In reference to Message Id: 1467530

Just FYI, a caiman will grow about 1ft. per year, so at 5-6 years, a cuvierís dwarf caiman will be full grown. All the breeders, field scientists, books (written by top-notch crocodilian experts)that Iíve talked to have said the same about growth rate. About 1 ft. a year. Your friendís croc is growing at an extremely unhealthy and stunted rate.

Look here: Link
Hereís the important bit: ..........How fast do they grow? Hatchling saltwater crocodiles, like the one on the left, emerge from the egg at around 25 to 30cm (1 foot) in length. They can easily sit on the lens of a camera, weighing only 70 grams (2.3 oz). However, they grow rapidly and often exceed 1 m (3.3 feet) in one to two years. The first 10 years of life are accompanied by rapid growth, by which time males are usually at least 3 metres (9.8 feet) in length. Growth slows after reaching sexual maturity (around 10 to 15 years), but typically continues for most of the animalís life (at least 60 to 70 years)......

I know it talks about saltwater croc, but virtually all crocodilians grow at the same rate, or close.

-Reed

10/04/07  08:08pm

Crocodylus
View Profile

Message To: Reedie   In reference to Message Id: 1467637

6-12 inches a year is the natural healthy growth rate of any crocodilian. Yes they do have growth spurts but it averages out to about 1/2 to 1 inch a month. My friends Dwarf is 18 inches and is fed 2 times a week and is only just now 2 years old. My Alligator is 2 ft. long and is only just a year and a half old. He is fed twice a week and his water temp is 75 deg. This is by no means power feeding growth rates. Power feeding produces growth rates of up to 3ft. a year on some farms.

Like Reedie said every Zookeeper, Herpetologist, Book , website, or Hobbyist Iíve ever consulted have presented me with the same information.
Ill give you that it has been shown that Wild specimens have shown slightly slower growth rates but this is attributed to inconsistent food supplies and competition for it with other predators.

10/06/07  03:31pm

Lolaowns
View Profile

Anyone whos asking how large a caiman gets is wanting to know how big a caiman gets and thats it. Sure theres other places to find that information but the kid decided to ask on here. Of course you really need to be educated and really know what your doing but you have to start somewhere don’t you.

In my case, I came here because i wanted to know how big a dwarf caiman gets because i would like to have one also someday. And I know i dont have the space yet but if i ever want to get a caiman i have to know how much property i need. i know im not ready for one with these beginner questions but I know that. Noone else needs to tell me. If you have useful non judgmental informtation please post it. otherwise just answer the question pls.

09/26/12  08:06pm

DSchulten88
View Profile

Message To: Lolaowns   In reference to Message Id: 2281484

Large enough to mortally wound you, and eat Fido.

10/06/12  04:10am

Crocke
View Profile

Dear All,

can you please help identify information about my alligator.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ejezpg.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/nq35va.jpg

Type
Temperature
Food
Environment
Etc...

11/06/12  06:04am

Zachgator
View Profile

They grow to 3-4 feet, at the most. They are cute LOL

07/26/13  02:59pm

Smooth frount lover
View Profile

I own a smooth front caiman 2nd smallest caiman I’ve had her for while she gets feed right and such she hasn’t been been growing a foot a year and 2nd if you get the smallest caiman I’d have to think it’s even slower the smallest one Ur lucky if it hits 4 feet in captive I’ll be lucky if mine hits 4 or 5 feet in captivity the record for the one I have 2nd smallest is 6 feet the record so highly unlikely and yes she’s aggressive. ...but with time and handling she can be tamed but I’d never fully trust her she is a croc and can do damage love her great reptile easy to take care of but still remember it is a an animal any animal can bite some more dangerous then others

11/26/14  09:35pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area