Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

BulbasuarBabe24   Acre   BulbasuarBabe24   Acre  

Member  Message

BulbasuarBabe24
View Profile

First reptile, first post.. Did I do it right??

Hi! This is my first time posting here. This is also my first reptile, however I’ve taken care of many other animals, so I’m confident that I can properly care for this one!

I was taking a picture of some pretty mushrooms when this northwestern Alligator lizard crawled on to my hand. It freaked me out for a second because I thought she(?) Was a snake! Anyways, all research I’ve read stated that wild alligator lizards are shy and try to run away and bite if you try to pick them up. So maybe she was someone’s pet? She lost her tail also, is there any special requirements for me to help her grow it back? She also hasn’t eaten any crickets or king worms since I’ve had her (yesterday 3/15/18).

I bought her a uvb light bulb (in a normal lamp, planning on getting a dome lamp thing). She also has lots of dirt, a log hide, a basking rock, and a shallow water dish. Oh, and a grass plant for cover. She’s currently in a 10gallon tank, but I’m going to get a 20g when Petco gets it $1 per gallon sale.

Is there any tips, suggestions, or comments? Am I doing it right? Can you tell how old she is? And if it really is a she? Does the look healthy?

Thanks!

03/16/18  07:43pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: BulbasuarBabe24   In reference to Message Id: 2322142

It’s still a bit cool for many gator lizards to start feeding so that may be why she hasn’t eaten. Make sure the hot spot is 80-85F daytime; the temperature can drop at night. The set-up sounds fine. When you say "basking rock" is that one of those hot rocks? Overhead heating is better. The UVB isn’t technically necessary but they may benefit from it; the heat is essential.
The tail will grow back with time and generous feeding but will never be as long as the original. Nothing special to do.

03/16/18  08:00pm

BulbasuarBabe24
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2322143

Thank you for your reply! Her basking rock is just a regular palm sized rock positioned directly under the uvb light to suck up some extra heat. My room stays at about 80F during the day and drops to about 75F at night. Do I still need a heat lamp? Or is the uvb enough? I’ll probably end up getting a heat lamp anyway in case my situation changes. Does she need her cage super humid? I have some moss in a burrow I try to keep moist all the time, is that enough? I’m glad you don’t think it’s crazy that she hasn’t ate yet. When would you say I should expect her to take a Munch?

Also, is there a way I can post pictures?
Thanks again!

03/17/18  12:37am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: BulbasuarBabe24   In reference to Message Id: 2322144

The humidity doesn’t have to be very high. I’d bump to hot spot up to 85 - maybe the UV bulb is already doing that, just measure it and be sure.

03/20/18  01:28pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area