Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mgmbase   Mgmbase   Acre  

Member  Message

Mgmbase
View Profile

Lighting and setup for my new, wild, baby, southern alligator lizard

Yesterday my cat found a southern alligator lizard, and its tail had been released. I then bought an enclosure for it.

The reptile enclosure I bought: http://i.imgur.com/iCx3LKo.jpg

I read online that they like forest-like habitats, so i used ECO EARTH compressed coconut fiber expandable substrate as the ground. Is that good for them, or is there something else I should use instead?

I also know that they need places where they can hide, so I bought a fake half log, is that fine? Or should I buy a fake cave? Or if not that then what?

I also put a fake rock water bowl for "him." Is that fine for a water bowl, or should I put something else? And my lizard often gets dirt in the bowl, so should I refill it when there is too much dirt in the bowl, or refill it when there is any dirt at all in the bowl.

I didn’t buy fake plants or logs, I just found real ones from my backyard. The sticks/logs are working out fine. But it’s the plants i’m worried about. Since they are real, they are going to die within a day MAYBE 2. So should I get fake plants, not have plants at all, or keep getting real plants from my backyard?

I also got house crickets for him to eat, I saw him bite one but he just let it go almost immediately, do you think that if he doesn’t eat them after 2 days, i should feed him smaller insects, or is he just still stressed because my cats, and putting him in an enclusure?

And last, but not least, lighting. My enclosure is located in a sunroom, that is a room on the side of my house. 2/4 of the walls are 60-80% glass(so mostly glass) so he gets natural sunlight when the sun is out and doesn’t get it when its dark, or past sunset. Do I still need any artificial lights, or a UVB light?

If someone can answer my questions ASAP that would be great, and please be as detailed as possible because this is my first serious pet depending on what happens.

Thanks!!!

05/20/17  09:00pm

Mgmbase
View Profile

Message To: Mgmbase   In reference to Message Id: 2320684

OH! one more thing.

I fed him the night before, a small cockroach, in a different container at night and he ate it, but when I put the crickets in his new enclosure(in the day) there was only once where he bit one of them, and he just spit the cricket out right after, but besides that the crickets just walked by him and he would not even move and whenever they touched him he would just run away.

Why is that? Is he stressed, does he not like them, is he full, do alligator lizards only eat at night, and if not any of these, then why wont he eat.

Thanks! please get back to me ASAP!

05/20/17  09:14pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Mgmbase   In reference to Message Id: 2320685

Southern Alligator lizards need to get up to 85F in a basking spot during the day for proper digestion. Temps much about 90F are harmful. So whether or not you need a light depends on what temperatures you are achieving. Measure them, don’t guess. UV is beneficial but not essential as long as you are dusting the crickets with a vitamin-mineral power.
Plants are not necessary.
The water dish just needs to be shallow.
Don’t attempt to handle the guy until he starts eating.

05/24/17  07:49pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area