Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SilverBlood124   Alisha & Joker   SilverBlood124   Lizardlover2  

Member  Message

SilverBlood124
View Profile

N. Alligator Lizard Lethargic, slow?

Hi, my husband and I just became owners of a little 5 inch Northern Alligator lizard. My husband found him outside, and for about an hour the lizard just sat on his hand and didn’t move, except when touched. I figured it was because we are experiencing suddenly cold weather after a few weeks of warm temperatures. So, he brought him home. He is now in the tank with our tree frog. I turned the lamp on and put a warm water bottle in there with him, but he is still very lethargic. :/ I don’t know if he is about to shed or if the sudden change in temp has caused him to try to hibernate. We will be getting him better substrate than the moss soon, but I would like to know if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with him. Please and thank you for any info.

03/15/16  12:48pm

Alisha & Joker
View Profile

Message To: SilverBlood124   In reference to Message Id: 2317442

He was born in the wild so he is use to being in the wild he is scared. I would turn him lose I did have blue tails that was wild an I broke them from it but you will have to handle him a lot feed him cricked worms spiders stuff he would eat outs side an if you plan on keeping him be prepared to get bit a lot.

03/15/16  04:18pm

SilverBlood124
View Profile

Message To: Alisha & Joker   In reference to Message Id: 2317443

I grew up out in the desert, raised a lot of horny toads and snakes from the wild. :) This little guy wasn’t acting scared at all, in fact, since he has warmed up a bit he has been a little explorer and has let me pick him up a few times. He seems to be feeling much better after a few hours of basking, so I think it was the temperature. Thank you for your reply though.

03/15/16  09:32pm

Lizardlover2
View Profile

Message To: SilverBlood124   In reference to Message Id: 2317450

Hi SilverBlood124,

Sorry for the late response but I think you were probably correct about the cold weather being a factor for your Allie’s lethargic behavior. Since reptiles are cold blooded, they often slow down in the winter to survive with minimal food, especially during times of brumation. It’s been a while since your post and the weather has most likely gotten warmer so I’m sure he’ll get more and more active. If his behavior hasnt improved, other possible reasons for lethargic behavior that I’ve read about include digestive issues like impaction or a parasitic infection. I would pay attention to how enthusiastic his eating is and find a local reptile vet to perform a fecal test for parasites for confirmation.

If you are still feeling out the best substrate for his habitat, I would recommend EcoEarth on the bottom and a layer of Reptibark on top. The EcoEarth will allow for digging which allies like to do in the winter for brumation and the Reptibark will prevent accidental swallowing of small strings and pieces of dirt from the EcoEarth.

Also, i haven’t confirmed from experience, but I’ve read that allies can be territorial and aggressive so I would recommend a separate terrarium for him to prevent any potential conflicts.

Keep us updated on your status and feel free to ask anymore questions!

05/08/16  10:11pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area