Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AguieCat   Acre   Lizardlover2  

Member  Message

AguieCat
View Profile

Inherited a lovely alli, I want to provide the best care possible!

I inherited a beautiful Texas Alligator Lizard. I want him to have everything he needs!

Here’s what I’ve gathered from everything I’ve read so far:
Substrate: Get rid of the gravel, mix cypress mulch & eco earth, or repti bark/forest floor.
Lots of hides & branches
Feed crickets and other insects.
12 hour light cycle (Repti Sun LF-65)
Water Dish/mist

I am also in love with live habitats;
I have a semi-aquatic habitat with life plants for my fire belly toads & a live aquarium for my african dwarf froggie

What kind of plants do you think Flaco would enjoy? Is there anything I forgot to provide?

01/23/16  03:16pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: AguieCat   In reference to Message Id: 2316695

Just make sure the hot spot under the lamp is 80-85 or even a bit hotter. Occasionally dust the feeder insects with Reptivite or another supplement. The misting likely isn’t necessary. Make sure the water dish is very shallow (or it may be partially buried in the substrate). As for live plants - too much humidity probably isn’t good; I’d go with succulents like Sanseviera.

01/26/16  11:59am

Lizardlover2
View Profile

Message To: AguieCat   In reference to Message Id: 2316695

Hi AguieCat,

It looks like you’ve gotten the basics down! A couple of things to add:

-Dust the crickets/other insects with calcium or multi-vitamin as they have a natural deficiency
-I don’t suggest using meal worms as they have half the amount of protein compared to crickets and you would have to feed twice the amount. Also, we’ve seen videos of reptile owners’ lizards’ getting "addicted" to meal worms and won’t eat any other type of insect so I don’t think meal worms would be a good idea.
-Gauge if your Allie can handle bigger insects. I don’t suggest feeding them the large winged crickets/roaches if they are smaller. Gradually give them bigger food as they grow bigger.
-They like to dig/burrow so I suggest doubling the substrate so its deep enough for them to burrow when they brumate.
-We use EcoEarth as the base of our substrate since it is softer for them to dig/burrow but we use ReptiBark on the top level so they don’t accidentally eat those little strings/straws when eating crickets.
-Make sure humidity level is around 60-70% as humidity help them have healthy sheds

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Also, please keep us updated with your Allie’s status! :)

02/03/16  08:48pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area