Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jgator   Acre   Allielover  

Member  Message

Jgator
View Profile

Alligator lizards with full original tail?

Hey guys. So I have a question for all of you Allie fans. Does anyone out there have an alligator lizard, or (even less likely) has anyone ever seen one in the wild that has survived to adulthood with its full original tail? I’m asking as all the many I’ve seen in the wild have either a stumpy tail, or have clearly lost part of it at some point in their life with various stages of re-growth. I’m curious to see if it’s even possible for them to get fully grown with it still intact as I currently have a baby Allie (born late last year) that has his full tail still and if he grows as big as the wild ones I’ve seen, he will be massive!

The info I can find online says they get to be about a foot long max, even though my baby is currently almost a foot and has a lot more growing to do, yet that’s mostly tail! 2/3rds of its length to be precise! I figure if he keeps the tail intact and grows as large as the wild ones do, he’ll be approaching nearer 3ft in length, maybe more (again 2/3rds tail though!).

I really hope he does keep it intact but I totally understand why they lose it so easily as it’s huge! If I’m handling mine I have to support his tail or else it causes him to fall off my hand! I wish it would let me post pics here but I can’t figure it out! Anyone know how to make that work?

Can’t wait to see replies and get your input regarding your Allies or Allies that you’ve seen! We had one in our yard the other day that must have been nearly a foot with a small stumpy tail. It was the biggest Allie I’ve seen to date, however if my little guy keeps his tail he’ll be a monster!

09/07/15  11:55am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2314838

Maybe three or four in a lifetime of having seen over a hundred.

09/07/15  08:54pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2314840

my wild caught female had a full tail and from her size and the fact that she got tumors and died after a couple years lather im gussing she was fairly old. iv seen a few more too.

11/17/15  12:35am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area