View Profile

Bitey bitey

Does anyone know how to make an allie less aggressive

06/14/15  03:38pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Newt_dewd   In reference to Message Id: 2313911

Bitey bitey

This is one of the natural behaviours that they are known for in the wild. They can be very aggressive and their bites can be very painful due to their large heads and strong jaws. Sadly there may be very little you can do to change this. I only ever take baby lizards now as they can be worked with before they figure out they can bite! I had previously taken a larger lizard that didn’t bite at all at first (they tend to stay very still, hoping you don’t see them!) but as time went on he got snappier and snappier!

Really all you can do is work with the animal daily. Look into its cage regularly to get it used to seeing you’re face. Put your hand in the tank near the lizard with very slow movements. Try to get it used to seeing your hand, maybe try hand feeding (just mind your fingers! Haha). Leave your hand in the tank near it and hopefully it will come and investigate once it gets comfortable enough. Talk softly to it while you do that too. It may sound weird but it gets them used to voices so they won’t be startled in the further. Do this daily, and slowly try to move from being near the lizard, to gently touching it’s side (stay away from tail and head at first!) you’ll be able to tell if it will tolerate this or not. Make sure it can see your hand as you go to touch it, don’t sneak up and surprise it because that will trigger an snappy reaction! Little and often is a good rule at first. You don’t want to stress the animal, so only attempt interaction for small amounts of time but multiple times a day at first. If he starts to work with you, you can increase the time you are trying to interact with him by a little each week. Sadly that’s all you can really do! There’s no set formula for taming lizards. Most are never fully tame (particularly older wild caught specimens) and some may never tame at all. They’re just like people and some have personalities that just aren’t that social! You’re probably gonna be bitten a whole lot more before any kind of progress is made so if you aren’t up for that I’d reconsider!

As I mentioned I only take baby allies now after my previous experiences with larger, older animals set in their ways! The babies are awesome and although they start out very skittish, they really do get to know people and become more and more ok with touching and handling. Again though, there’s still no guarantees as you may just end up with a grumpy, antisocial lizard! The previous baby I had used to bolt at the first sign of a hand, or even just at the sound of the tank lid opening. My current baby though actively comes out from under his log when he hears the lid open, and will tolerate handling very well, it’s still early days though!

I hope this has been helpful. Ultimately just don’t get discouraged, stick with it and have patience! They’re quite easy lizards to read as they puff or sometimes hiss or gape their mouths when they want to be left alone. If it does this try just moving your hand slowly away but still leaving it in the tank. They just need to stop seeing your hand as a threat or danger and start to see it as part of the surroundings, and most importantly the bringer of food!

Keep us posted on how things are going, and any other issues you have check these forums or just ask! Everyone’s really helpful and although it may take a while to get a reply here, you usually will eventually!

06/22/15  10:05am

Newt_dewd
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2314007

Bitey bitey

thanks a million

06/22/15  08:47pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area