Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

WickedClownSpike   WickedClownSpike   Acre   Jgator  

Member  Message

WickedClownSpike
View Profile

Help us pls

Hi my name is corey i live in southern California , i was packing things to move two days ago, i found a alligator lizzard, Its real calm , i can put my finger as cloase as 2cm roughly to it will NOT hiss or try to bite me, its not aggressive at all, well i’ve been watching it and it stays ontop of rocks and dosent stay off the rocks for to long before it gose back up on top. Got any ideas why dosnt stay hidden ? Ive cought some pencher bugs and rolley polleys and some kind of ground beattles, it hasnt ate none of them? Could it be just adjusting to being in a cage? ,,. It dosent flick its tong to much ether.. I’m little lost what to do, please help ASAP or givee me some kind of advice so i can take care of it ..... i will post a pic of it as soon as i figure out how to

06/07/15  04:42am

WickedClownSpike
View Profile

Message To: WickedClownSpike   In reference to Message Id: 2313819

Help us pls

Never mind i got ahold of few different kinds of bugs and put it in its face and It hissed at what it didnt want it was pretty cool. If it wanted it i just trew it in there and within 20 mins about 5 bugs all dissappared lol

06/09/15  05:51am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: WickedClownSpike   In reference to Message Id: 2313833

Help us pls

They cue in on movement so bugs that don’t move much don’t attract their attention. Pet store crickets are usually gone in a flash. If fed any one thing exclusively they will need vitamin supplementation e.g. the bugs put in a plastic bag and some Reptivite or other powdered mixture put in and things shaken up to coat the bugs. Also needed is a heat source during the day for proper digestion - a hot spot of 80-85 F. Also, of course, fresh water in a shallow dish so they can easily get to it.

06/12/15  09:46pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: WickedClownSpike   In reference to Message Id: 2313819

Help us pls

Hey Corey, congrats on the new lizard! You’ll find great advice here!

Firstly pet store crickets dusted with vitamins are definitely the way to go! You really want to avoid feeding it bugs from outside. I know this seems silly as if he was still out there, he’d be eating them! However, now he’s in an enclosed area, any mites or parasites that these wild caught bugs might have on them can have a huge impact. In the wild it’s not so much of a problem for them but in an enclosed tank these issues can get out of hand quickly!

Secondly regarding their behaviour this seems natural to me and I have witnessed this in multiple lizards. Unlike a lot of lizards that may hide the whole time, the allies I’ve had on the whole seem more adventurous and will often find a high point in their tank to survey the surroundings (some even climb if you have sticks in there). Their first line of defense is their camouflage and in the wild it’s quite effective! They’ll sit incredibly still even if they see a threat, and often wait untill the very last second to bolt for a hole or cover (or bite first too!). They’re pretty confident in their ability to not be seen so he’s probably laying there perfectly still thinking you have no idea where he is!

Id be interested to see how you get on. Give us some updates! Haha.

06/22/15  10:34am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area