Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Inmygarden   Acre   Inmygarden   Inmygarden   Acre  

Member  Message

Inmygarden
View Profile

Found eggs

Whi.le working in my yard today I turned over a large wooden planter and was suprised to find a cluster of eggs in the potting soil. They look like whitish jelly beans. I did some checking and now know it wasn’t the Easter Bunny who left them but an Alligator lizard.
I am very happy that I found this site because I have been getting lots of good information on eggs and how to handle them. unfortunately when I tipped the planter over the eggs sort of just spilled ou,t I have no idea about top or bottom of the eggs. also they were completely buried so I’m not sure about putting them in soil with a portion poking out as is described in another area of this forum.
I put them in a different planter and lightly cover them all with soil ,the soil is damp, I placed the planter in the same area of the yard - lots of sun-

any suggestions as to what I should do next should I go ahead and bring them inside or leave them outside and see what happens naturally since that’s how they started out? I would like to see them hatch I would hate to be responsible for killing off a whole brood of little allIes

04/19/15  11:19am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Inmygarden   In reference to Message Id: 2313272

Found eggs

No way to know if you rotated them. It doesn’t matter until some time after they are laid. I’d leave them where they are and see what happens. At ambient temps incubation can take quite some time - up to 10 weeks or longer. The only thing I might do is put some netting or screen over them to make it harder for something - a bird or racoon or opossum - to eat them.

04/21/15  02:37pm

Inmygarden
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2313294

Found eggs

Thanks for the feed back. I will add some protection. What about an air pocket? It didn’t seem like there was one around them when I found them so I didn’t create one when I "repotted" them.All the info I read was related to domestic situations so the eggs were only partially covered.

04/22/15  10:25am

Inmygarden
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2313294

Found eggs

Thanks for the feed back. I will add some protection. What about an air pocket? It didn’t seem like there was one around them when I found them so I didn’t create one when I "repotted" them.All the info I read was related to domestic situations so the eggs were only partially covered.

04/22/15  10:26am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Inmygarden   In reference to Message Id: 2313304

Found eggs

If soil is packed loosely around them so some air can circulate they should be OK. I’ve never found gator lizard eggs in the wild. I’ve hatched them in captivity and never buried the eggs - just left them in small dimples on the surface of moist vermiculite.

04/27/15  04:00pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area