Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jgator   Jgator   Allielover   Jgator   Allielover   Jgator  

Member  Message

Jgator
View Profile

!!Shedding Help Please!!

I have a baby alligator lizard that I caught in my house a couple of weeks ago. He’s still small, but must have shed at least once in the wild as his baby colors were mostly gone. I woke up today to a skin in the tank.. his first shed with me! I’m really excited as he now has bright red coloration down his back and is truly a beautiful lizard!

Apparently my substrate was too dry as he seems to have had some trouble slipping out of the tail portion of his skin. About half way down the tail he still has the old skin on. I have misted the tank, and misted the tail directly. My question is do you think he’ll need any extra help getting out of it? I really don’t want to mess around with his tail as he still has it complete, and I’d hate for him to drop it! Do you think that if I just keep misting it, he’ll slip out of it on his own or it’ll just fall off?

I’ve had Allie babies before but never had a problem with shedding. Like I said I’m Fairly sure it’s cos my substrate dried out too much, and I’ll be sure to lightly mist daily from now on, but in the mean time will he be ok with his old tail skin on?

03/06/15  12:37pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2312667

!!Shedding Help Please!!

Ok nevermind, sorted it! And wow! Never thought it would have been that easy! After researching online I found that a brief bath and some gentle encouragement was needed. Seeing as he’s so small and new to captivity I was hesitant. Plus he’s been making great steps in the taming process and I really didn’t want to spook the little guy!

So I got a bowl with a splash of warm water in and coaxed him onto my hand. Then whilst he was on there, I draped his tail off the edge into the water and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, (and I really cannot stress enough how careful I was!!) I gently held the tail just above the failed shed, and gently pinched the loose skin with my finger nails. He just sat there totally calm and let me slowly peel the skin off! It was like he knew I was trying to help him! Unbelievable! Not so much as a flinch or a puff up! Seems like I’ve got myself a really good tempered lizard, and one of them most beautiful ones I’ve ever seen! The red bands down his back are stunning!

Like I had mentioned he is doing well with taming. I place a small mealworm on my hand and he casually climbs up to eat and then hangs out with me for a bit. He freely takes food from my fingers and rarely acts skittish any more. I’ve been doing this daily and each day gets easier and easier!

I’m so happy he still has his full long tail! Thought I’d post this brief update just incase anyone else had similar issues! I wouldn’t recommend doing it my way unless your lizard is fine with handling though. Also I probably could have waited to see if nature would take its course, but had read an article of a lizard losing its tail from tight old skin and I really want this guy to stay in one piece!

03/06/15  01:45pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2312668

!!Shedding Help Please!!

That’s really really awesome! Iv had to do that with a few of mine. 2 needed help their whole lives or they’d lose toes. No matter how moist the environment. Its like they just didn’t know how to do it. Same litter.

03/16/15  11:44pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2312782

!!Shedding Help Please!!

That’s really strange! Mine seemed to know what he was doing. The skin was all snaked in between the sticks I have in his tank so he was clearly using them to rub the skin loose as he should. The substrate had just dried out quicker than usual. I mixed up some Eco earth for substrate and maybe didn’t use as much water as usual or something!? Either way I’m misting his stick area daily now in anticipation of his next shed. He’ll probably shed soon as he’s gotten quite a bit larger and is eating like a champ! I wish I knew how to put pictures up here, but all my attempts to date have failed! I was surprised he managed to get his toes out but not his tail. I think maybe the skin just ripped as he was slipping out of it and he either didn’t notice, or couldn’t snag the rest and so left it.

Strange question.. I see you’ve kept allies for some time. Have you ever seen them try to have a nibble of substrate? I noticed mine the other day rooting around in the earth with his head and then licking, and properly opening his mouth and chewing down some small pieces. I don’t know if its natural behavior or what! There were no crickets or anything in there so it wasn’t like it was an accidental nibble. I even saw him move his spot and take another little taste in a different spot. He’s not eating enough to be bad for him, but it just confused the heck outta me! Haha. There’s no way he could have been hungry either as he’d already eaten loads that day.

My little guy is doing great though. He’s eating well and is always out exploring his tank. He’s not bothered by people any more and isn’t skittish when handled at all. He just climbs all over my hands. He’s growing really quickly. How long do they take to grow to full size? I can’t wait until he’s bigger, and just really hope he keeps that amazingly long tail intact!

03/18/15  11:39am

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2312799

!!Shedding Help Please!!

My guys love to "taste" things when they’re taken out or if there’s something new. They flick their tongues, similar to snakes. Mine for the most part if they had something on their face that they didn’t want there, they would rub it off on something. Mine rarely seemed interested in digging, more into climbing, but iv heard that some do, mine liked wedging themselves into tiny gaps/holes. Maybe he was thinking about digging?

Is it a northern or southern? I forget. My northers were shedding about once a month until they were 7-9ish months old, their growth also slowed at this point too. It seems to slow at about the point that they reach sexual maturity or shortly after. The mother Allie I had was 9 inches when I got her. I had her for about 2 months shy of 2 years. She only shed twice in that time and was 9.25incheas before she died. So as they age their growth slows but I doubt that it actually stops completely. She was probably older when I got her and she died from rapidly growing tumors in her gut.

04/07/15  12:32am

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2313091

!!Shedding Help Please!!

Mine is a southern, despite being in Northern California. As far as I know all the allies round here are southern. They are definitely more into digging than climbing, at least this time of year. I do remember going down a trail a couple of years back in summer time and seeing large lizards running up trees and across branches. I think this time of year though when it’s cold(er than normal, haha) they spend most of their time underground or in holes.

I haven’t noticed my guy eating substrate anymore which is good. He does always taste everything with his tongue, like you say. He definitely seems more friendly than the last one I had, and spends most of the day roaming around his tank, or hanging out in the open, and he’s not bothered at all by people looking in or walking past. He’s a touch over 6 inches now, although two thirds of that is tail! I really hope he keeps the full tail. All the adults I’ve seen in the wild have lost their tail, and I can understand why given how they shed!

I was lucky enough to see mine shed the other day. He shed in daytime which is strange because usually my other reptiles shed over night. I lightly misted above him to help loosen the skin and he slipped out of it fine this time. He wasn’t phased at all by my presence whilst he shed either.

I look forward to it growing full size, so I can tell if it’s a male or female!

04/09/15  12:57pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area