Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kbmamma   Bluebellyluver2009   Acre   Savagedrumsticks   Jgator  

Member  Message

Kbmamma
View Profile

Female?

I’m guessing a young female Southern Alligator? About 2 inches long excluding tail. At that size... I’m guessing that she was born last spring?

02/06/15  03:06pm

Bluebellyluver2009
View Profile

Message To: Kbmamma   In reference to Message Id: 2312209

Female?

very pretty lizard, excellent coloration to be honest I’m not completely sure whether its a girl or boy and I don’t know of a way to tell

02/25/15  02:15am

Acre
View Profile

Female?

Definitely a Southern. Very nice specimen, congrats! Impossible to tell on the sex.

03/01/15  08:00pm

Savagedrumsticks
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2312591

Female?

Hey man, I have 36 different kinds of reptile in my house. So you can trust my replies. Yes it is a female. You can tell by its head. It is more like a cone shape not a male which has more triangle shape. And by the way it surely wasn’t born last spring. It is there for at least five years. Any question contact me

09/15/15  08:03pm

Jgator
View Profile

Female?

What a beauty! So to echo what has already been said, it’s definitely a southern, but really hard to tell sex yet until it’s close to full grown. Does look a lot like a female though with the thin slender pointy head, however you never know! It might widen and turn chunky with a little more age!

As far as it being 5 years old as previously commented.. there’s no way! I currently have an Allie that was born late last year (we found it as a recent hatchling in our house in November) and mine is only a fraction smaller than that. I’d say probably 2 or 3 sheds behind your little one! That would place it maybe the spring previous so if anything id say maybe a year older than your guess at most!

Are you planning on keeping it long term? If so one thing I’d suggest is to add a few more little sticks to your enclosure, perhaps a small pile in one corner. That’s what I do and it’s really helpful for them to rub on and around when they shed their skin (as they shed all in one piece like a snake!). If you notice it’s colors darken or dull, start misting the stick pile daily until it sheds. The moisture and the rough sticks do wonders to help them slip out of their skin in one piece! Also another hide or two would be appreciated I’m sure. Although my little one likes to hang out in the open most of the time, they do like multiple hides.

Something else to bear in mind is as the weather cools off this lizard will try to brumate. This can be tricky to manage in captivity with indoor temp fluctuations and stuff, and it’s very nerve wracking as they wont eat for prolonged periods! If you’re going to try to keep it from brumating you may also have trouble, as given its size it’s probably done it at least once in the wild already. It’s hard to teach old lizards new tricks! (Discovered through experience!)Haha.

Any trouble or issues you have, come check these threads, or just ask. It may be a slow response, but most of the people here really know their stuff and will help with whatever!

Congrats on your new friend!

09/29/15  02:43pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area