Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Allielover   Acre   Allielover   Acre   Allielover  

Member  Message

Allielover
View Profile

Lizards not eating. again

One is an almost 2 year old male berber skink. He hasn’t accepted and eaten any crickets or superworms for about 3 weeks now. He’s not thin and seems otherwise healthy.
He’s probably fine but that just seems like a long time for an animal that small to go without eating anything.

The other is a 2year 3 month old male northwestern alligator lizard. I’m not quite sure when he stopped eating because his brother and a long tailed grass lizard live with him. I haven’t seen him eat for about 3 weeks as well. He is really thin. His healthy brother is round like a sausage with lots of muscle, but this guy is thinner allover, I can feel the edge of his ribs with no pressure. This is the larger longer brother(allways has been) but now the shorter brother is noticeably heavyer than his sick thin big brother.
This pair lost their other siblings and mother earlier this year. The siblings too genetic jaw malformations that got infected and no one i took them too was able to treat. I don’t know how old the mother was, I’m assuming older by her large size and low energy level.she got tumors and died a couple weeks after the first one showed up.
Considering that the 2 lizards living with the skinny guy are fine I don’t think its infectious, I’m leaning more towards it being something inside being malformed or shutingdown. He was the only completely normal looking baby.

I’m wondering if the vitamin boosting supplement food from pet smart is a good idea to try. Or should I try hornworms? Or any other ideas? I know my Allie might not make it, but I want to try. The skink has a good chance.also the reason that iv been neglecting to watch my lizards closely this last moth is because my old dog fell on the stairs and didn’t recover, he had to be put down and then iv been depressed because if it and working lots.

Any suggestions are welcome.

11/23/14  02:59am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2310957

My guess is everyone wants to hibernate. I looked up the Berber Skinks and they do get into temperate latitudes that have significant winter cooling. If no one looks skinny cool them into the 50-60’s for a couple or three months so they don’t burn calories and just check that they have fresh water. Reduce the photo-period to 10 hours a day or less. Even a darkened area like a closet is fine as they would hibernate undnerground anyway.

11/24/14  10:08am

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2310982

The Allie died today. Iv lost him, his 3 siblings, his mom and my 2 dogs in the last 13 months. I have one brother Allie left. I’m feeling pretty down tonight.

I think for Christmas I might order some kind of lizard for myself. Do you know of any good places that ship too Vancouver island Canada? Most seem to only ship within the USA.

11/25/14  12:17am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2311000

Well that just stinks; sorry to hear it.
Don’t know of any outfits that ship to Canada. Wild caught is often a better bet as shipped animals have been uber-stressed by capture, then transport, then usually improper housing, then further transport. This can cause health problems that don’t show up for some time. Shipping in the Winter is the worst.
Odd about the Allies; they’re usually long-lived (10 years plus) and undemanding. Here and there I’ve had a hatchling suddenly die for no apparent reason but otherwise only mites they came with have caused losses (again, MUCH more common with shipped lizards which may have been in facilities overrun with exotic mites) . I’d suggest either local Allies or garter snakes, which are also undemanding. I read that European Wall lizards, Podarcis muralis, had been introduced to Southern Vancouver island - they’re pretty tough as well. Again, sorry for all the bad luck.

11/25/14  12:35pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2311010

Ya they seem pretty tough. I have no idea how old the mother was but she was 9.5 inches when I got her. When she died after I had her for 2 years she was 9.75 inches and only shed twice.

Three of her five baby’s had external defomitys at birth. I only had her for about a month before she gave birth, I didn’t know she was pregnant. Most of my posts are about theses 6 lizards. 3 died of a jaw deformity that developed when they were about a year old. Mom died of 4 large tumors or other groths in her belly. I’m not sure exactly what killed this boy, but from the amount of issues the others had i wouldn’t be surprised if something was deformed inside him. They all needed help sheding at least once. 3 always needed help. And they had some weird coloring and paturns.
The only living one developed his color way latter than his siblings. He didn’t get any spots in his golden back or white belly until around 5 months after the other 4 started. He needs help shedding. And he was born with a tiny kink near the end of his tail.
I have no idea who their farther was but my guess is he was related to their mother.
If I could get another one or 5 right now I would. They are my favorite lizards. My Berber and long tail and garg don’t come close.

11/26/14  12:00am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area