Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HayKay   Acre   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

HayKay
View Profile

Are we over feeding?

My son found a Texas Alligator lizard last week. It is about 11 inches long. We got a terrarium for it and read some care sheets that said it would eat about 10 crickets every 4 days. We fed it 8 crickets on Wednesday. Then on Saturday my son fed it 10 crickets. On Sunday he decided that because we had more crickets and he didn’t want them to die before he fed them to the lizard, he fed the lizard 8 more. He fed them one at a time and watched the lizard eat each one of them. The lizard has defecated twice. Is it possible to over feed the lizard? I kind of thought if it wasn’t hungry it would just let the cricket run around the cage. It eats the crickets almost immediately after they are put in the cage, of course my son puts the cricket right in front of the lizard.

11/17/14  12:22pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: HayKay   In reference to Message Id: 2310864

Are we over feeding?

In the wild Alligator lizards have to fatten up when they can - food is often seasonal. In captivity their first response to an unlimited food supply is often to stuff themselves but their appetite moderates as they get used to the constant availability of food.

11/17/14  04:17pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: HayKay   In reference to Message Id: 2310864

Are we over feeding?

Its ok the way he’s feeding him. Since he’s wild caught it’ll be a little harder to find food so since you guys have him he doesn’t have a problem catching and finding food. Over feeding is possible that can lead to obiesty but to prevent that make sure temps is up and he has a lot of room to excerise.

11/17/14  04:26pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area