Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Reeshalawrence08   Acre   Reeshalawrence08  

Member  Message

Reeshalawrence08
View Profile

Newbie owner of alligator lizard

My husband and I were given a female alligator lizard. When do they hibernate? How often should they eat? I bought her 9 live crickets and she ate them over two days. When should I feed her again?

09/15/14  03:24pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Reeshalawrence08   In reference to Message Id: 2309754

First the set-up. You should have a hot spot during the day of 80-90 to allow for proper digestion. The water dish should be very shallow so the lizard can actually find the water. The crickets need to be dusted with a vitamin/mineral powder e.g. Reptivite every 3rd or 4th feeding. A hide area is also helpful. Poor sheds (lots of pieces sticking to the lizard) if they occur can indicate too low a humidity. Some gator lizards need a plastic hide with damp moss in it.

Adults are fine being fed 2-3 times a week. If you go on vacation a well fed one is OK for 10 days or so without food. 4-6 crickets per feeding is about right; if you are going to leave more in the cage provide a commercial cricket food for them e.g. Fluker’s. Hibernation generally occurs November through the end of March. Some gator lizards will stop feeding earlier than that. Always keep the cage warm for a couple weeks after the last feeding so the lizard doesn’t cool down with undigested food in his/her gut. Temperatures of 45-55 are ideal for hibernation. Much above 60 and they will burn too many calories while being too cool to feed. Hope that’s helpful.

09/16/14  03:13pm

Reeshalawrence08
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2309776

Thank you so much for the info. Now we know how to properly care for her. :)

09/19/14  01:20am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area