Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Allielover   Takahiro111   Acre   Allielover   Acre   Allielover   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Allielover
View Profile

Allie hunting!!! :-D

I’m going Allie hunting later today. I got a lead on where I mite find one. I really hope I find a female, because my 2 male brothers would be thrilled, and because the girls I used to have never had the hormonal Territorial weeks like the males do.
My boys will be 2 years old August 27.

Please wish me luck, because I’ve been looking for more allies shortly after these 2 were born.
BTW any tips of how to tell gender other than an oviusly pregnant female or a male sticking out his hempenes?

08/09/14  04:12am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2308389

I’m wishing you the biggest luck :)

08/09/14  11:59am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2308389

Good luck! Tough time of year with the dryness - most of them have gone to ground.
You know you have a male when he mounts a female. The females evert a structure that looks very much like a hemipene so even that doesn’t confirm anything.

08/09/14  09:11pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2308413

Ya the place we went today was so dry, the moss was dry and dead :p. But a couple miles away I found one and might have seen a baby, but the big one caught me off guard and went under an old stump. There was lots of locusts. I didn’t see any birds over finch sized, no garter snakes. So once it gets a little moister out I’ll have to go try again. We got there around ten am and had to leave at about one pm, it was too hot. Might have to go out earlyer.

Do only the southern females Evert hemipene like structures? I have northwesterns. I ask because my boys mother never did. I could get the males to do it during baths sometimes. She didn’t have the same slight bulges that they had. I had 4 males and one female from the batch/litter that she had shortly after I found her. The daughter didn’t have any mood swings like the males, and she didn’t have any bulges, she also never stuck anything out.

08/10/14  12:15am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2308416

I’m not sure about Northwesterns; I have one Northern and the rest are Southerns. I just know even researchers have trouble sexing Southerns without x-raying them and I can’t do it based on appearances.
Yesterday I had a Santa Cruz garter snake (T. couchii) and a Pacific Giant Salamander - out and about, not under ground cover - in August, in a drought. Go figure. In the Santa Cruz range you rarely see them active on the surface after the spring rains. Maybe the heavy fog we had Saturday night brought him out. So anything is possible.

08/11/14  12:47pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2308460

I did find one but it went under an old stump before I could grab it, tryed getting it out, but I lost it. I may have also seen a baby, but there were so many grasshoppers around that my eyes may have been playing tricks on me.
I felt defeated going home with out any new allies, especially because I came so close. Also when my mom was in town last month waiting for a bus home an Allie ran in front of her.
Its getting pretty rainy and cool here now so I’ll probably have to wait until next year to try again :-P

My boys got a male long tailed grass lizard as a new friend instead of a girlfriend. He was scared of them for a couple weeks but now they all cuddle together. Its cute and kinda funny to watch them because the allies are 8 and 8.5 inches and the Long tail is 13 inches but his body and head are so much smaller. He’s as thin as some of the large crickets they’ve eaten before.
Also depending on if I can find a breeder nearby I might buy a crocodile skink within the next year.

Why are allies so hard to get? They run by rite when you aren’t prepared and then you hunt for them looking under things for several hours and several days and you’re lucky to catch a glimpse. Grrr they’re adorable but tricky and sneaky.

10/20/14  02:14am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2310426

Smaller reptiles are quick lol

10/20/14  08:07am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area