Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mr. Kipling   Acre   Mr. Kipling   Acre   Mr. Kipling   Acre   Mr. Kipling  

Member  Message

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

How Am I Doing

I caught a southern alligator lizard in my backyard a while ago and have now had him for 3 months. I keep him in a 2.8 gallon tank with a water dish, branch, rock, a few plants, a cardboard hide, and sand. I keep him outside under my roof so he gets heat and light in the morning but he doesn’t fry later in the day. I feed him crickets and flies dusted with calcium powder. Any suggestions or tips you have are appreciated.anyone know how to add pics?THX

04/13/14  12:06pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Kipling   In reference to Message Id: 2304576

How Am I Doing

You didn’t say how big he was but I’d have him in a larger cage, 5 gallon minimum and 10 would be better. Morning sun is iffy; have you actually measured the temperatures to see what he/she is getting? The standard indoor terrarium is better controlled. Remember, in the wild they can constantly move around to get to the right temperature. An outdoor cage without a very deep burrowing area won’t work in the colder months anyhow. If you can’t keep him indoors I would release him after a while. The only outdoor situations that work long term are large enclosures; several dozen square feet at least.

04/14/14  08:17am

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2304591

How Am I Doing

it’s been around 75 degrees in the morning which now that I think about it is probably magnified in the tank. i just thought it was better since I caught it outside. so a 10-20 gallon tank and heat lamp?

04/15/14  12:28am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Kipling   In reference to Message Id: 2304618

How Am I Doing

Yeah, that’s what I’d do. Under the heat lamp (which could be a 25-30 watt spot bulb if the tank is low enough) it should be 80-85; the rest of the cage can be cooler.
I don’t want to come on hyper-critical here but gator lizards are tough and can endure bad conditions for a long time - until they finally look sick - and by that time it’s too late to do anything; we’ve had plenty of posts like that. So, again, yeah, I’d go with a 10 gallon at least with a daytime temperature gradient of 85 at the hot spot to low 70’s at the cool spot and a really shallow water container so the gator lizard doesn’t have to climb over the top to see what’s in it. The rest of what you’re doing sounds good.

04/15/14  10:26pm

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2304632

How Am I Doing

k cool. one last question. you see I’ve been trying to feed my lizard without going to the store and buying them so i catch them at night. Thats getting kind of old and ive been looking for a way too get a lot of crickets without having to a spend hours for a weeks supply. im thinking of traps. got any other ideas?

04/15/14  11:48pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Kipling   In reference to Message Id: 2304634

How Am I Doing

Not really. Night lights attract lots of moths which they will eat if the moths are big enough. Pet store crickets live well on carrot and some grain so you can get a bunch and they will keep for a couple or three weeks.

04/16/14  06:26pm

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2304646

How Am I Doing

Thanks for all ur help!

04/16/14  08:49pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area