Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Allielover   Acre   Allielover   Acre  

Member  Message

Allielover
View Profile

Tail injury’s D:

i came home today to a big surprise. i have one 1.5year old male, a 1.5 year old female and there mother in the same 30 gallon tank. all 3 of them are really docile and i haven’t had any problems with aggression with this trio( my other 2 young males are a different story).
anyways the mother was 9.25 inches, 5 was her tail. she has about one inch of it left and the snub is only about as long as her neck and head. the daughter was also missing a chunk of her tail she had lost about half of what the mother lost( the daughter was 8inches)she has about 2.5-3 inches left of her tail. in thinking something spooked them because the 3 were so relaxed with each other and they were clean breaks.

any ideas of if and how long it will be until they have at least a little tail back? should i put anything on the wounds( they have polysporin and paper medical tape on them right now)

thanks please leave any suggestions or ideas no matter how weird or crazy.

04/08/14  11:27pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2304488

Tail injury’s D:

The tails will take 6-12 months to partially regenerate. I wouldn’t bother to put anything on them; it might just encourage debris to stick to the wound.
I’ve never had this happen and have had up to 6 (mixed sexes; multiple males) in a 20 gallon tank. I do use stacked flat rocks or bark to create a multilevel environment and provide a three dimensional space; this may aid in them staying out of each others way when one of them gets aggressive. This is breeding season so the male may have gotten especially horny all of a sudden.

04/11/14  05:49pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2304529

Tail injury’s D:

i had all 6 of my allies in the 30 gallon until about a year ago. now the 4 males take turns being agressive and hurring their mom.sometimes theyll be fine with her for a couple months other times i have to remove them after a few hours. they arnt just like this durring the breeding season( they were doing this last fall too) mine also have a multi level enviroment. they have climby things on 3 of the 4 walls 7 hides, 5 plants and some other things to climb on.
any other ways to keep the males from getting agressive would be great, because theyv really hurt their mom a few times( her head got really raw and infected, stoped eatting) id love if theyd get along so that they could all live and cuddle with eachother again. are yours northerns or southerns?

thank you.

04/11/14  06:30pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2304531

Tail injury’s D:

Mine are Southerns. Not sure what to suggest; with Leopard Gecko’s there is a "sweet spot" where, if you cramp them a little, they give up trying to establish territories. Give them more space and they get aggressive. Give LOTS more space - so they can all have their own - and everything calms down again. Maybe it’s the same with allies. If there are multiple bad encounters I’d just give up on housing that particular group together.

04/14/14  08:24am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area