Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lucertola   Acre   Lucertola  

Member  Message

Lucertola
View Profile

She’s pregnant & miserable.

My poor Crazy Legs Lizard Face...I am pretty sure that she’s pregnant (given the 36 hour marathon lovemaking her partner subjected her to and that now she is quite plump ). It’s been about a month since the mating adventure and the poor girl just looks miserable. She seems to be in good health, but she has trouble dragging that giant belly around and she’s too big to be very agile or quick, so her hunting is suffering right now. Her partner hides from her all day/night, but when she visits him they snuggle and he’s actually loving to her. But...is it normal for her to be acting like a pregnant woman with the mood swings, etc., and how much longer does she have to suffer like this before she lays some eggs? Do I have to remove the eggs from their habitat, or is that just a precaution so they don’t eat them? What do I do??? I want to do everything right for them - mom, dad and all those babies I can’t wait to meet.

02/28/14  08:07am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Lucertola   In reference to Message Id: 2303842

Southern Alligator Lizards run 45-60 days between mating and egg laying. They can get rather plump in the interim. Make sure there is a laying chamber (plastic hide with damp moss/vermiculite/whatever) because not only will you lose the eggs to dessication otherwise but the female will hold them in for an inordinate amount of time if she has no good place to lay them.

03/03/14  08:40pm

Lucertola
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2303884

Wow, really? Ok, that might explain what is wrong with her now... she seems lopsided, she doesn’t move around well at all, and frankly, she looks like she’s either pissed off, depressed or in pain. I did put in some of that coconut husk substrate, which stays pretty moist, and there is one corner of the cage that is always damp. She and Lucy(her boyfriend/mate...whatever) have dug out a little nest for themselves underneath the one big structure in the cage. It’s made of foam, covered in plastic and they can both easily move it around. There are plenty of rocks that they also moved around into stonehenge type formations. They’re organized, I tell you. There is a "cave" of sorts that is a ceramic pig (meant for kitchen sponges. It’s on the moist side of the cage. I will put some of the cocohusk in there too and point her at it.

I am worried about her!

03/14/14  05:07pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area