Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

NerdyBee   Acre  

Member  Message

NerdyBee
View Profile

Found Alligator Lizard - Help!

Hi Everyone. I am a newbie to this site. So this alligator lizard has been living in my garage for about two months now. I leave water for it and it has been sustaining itself on the overgrown cricket population that was present lol.

My issue now is that the crickets are running low and it gets very cold in the garage. My parents have also started rearranging the garage and want the lizard out. I set out a homemade trap made out of a shoe box on a heating pad so we will see if I can catch it. I however feel bad releasing the little guy (or girl) because it is getting so cold where I live. I currently work at a vivarium where we keep other reptiles and care for them there but I’m not sure if that would be the best place to bring the lizard just because it may be handled before its ready and quarantined etc. I also am not sure if I will be able to keep it at home because of my parents (but I will do my best to convince them if its what’s best).

So I really want to know what all of you think is best for the lizard because I know they are prone to becoming very stressed and I would hate for it to die because of me. It also has such a beautiful long tail that I really don’t want it to drop lol. If I end up keeping it I would go buy a nice container for it to live in and handle it as little as possible. So please let me know what you all think and then I can decide what is best! Thank you in advance!

11/24/13  12:12am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: NerdyBee   In reference to Message Id: 2302363

Found Alligator Lizard - Help!

Simplest thing - find a cool (45-60 degree) place where your folks will agree it’s OK until Spring and just leave it with fresh water and a hiding place (replace the water every couple of weeks). If it’s well fed it will hibernate. Then you can release it when things warm up. This assumes you can catch it. Otherwise it will likely find a crevice somewhere the garage where it will hibernate until Spring.

11/27/13  09:01pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area