Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jgator   Winkpw   Jgator   Jgator   Acre   Jgator   Acre   Jgator   Acre   Gyiki   Acre   Lizardlover2   Deromero23   Deromero23   Acre  

Member  Message

Jgator
View Profile

Baby alligator lizard stopped feeding HELP OR ADVICE PLEASE!!

Ok, this is my second post here but this one is more urgent! My little baby alligator lizard I caught a few days previous has stopped eating. He had settled into his new tank nicely, and was eating baby crickets no problem. He was even happy to climb on my hand and be held when I would place it in the tank. Now he doesn’t seem too interested in his crickets, and they can walk right past his face without so much as a turn of the head. Could it be he’s getting ready to shed or something, could he be stressed, or maybe just still full? I had previously kept a large male and he did the same thing sometimes, it just worries me more with this little one as it has just hatched, is so small and initially looked quite fat but now he’s slimming down. It’s been about 3 days since he ate last but he did eat a decent amount previous so am I just being paranoid?! I’ve had a couple of baby crickets in the tank for him for a day or so, and I know he is drinking as I just saw him licking some drops off of the tank glass after misting. He still seems active, climbing on his sticks and chilling under them over his heat pad, also hiding a lot of the time, but that’s what they do! At what point should i start getting worried if he still hasn’t eaten? Any advice would be welcome and help put my mind at ease as I really want this little guy to do well, and I’ve seen a lot of posts on here regarding people raising hatchlings!
The website won’t let me upload pictures for some reason but if it ever does I have some awesome snaps to show you all.
Thanks, J

08/25/13  11:57am

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2300641

Why are you taking reptiles from the wild? He is not eating because he is stressed. Let him go, depending on your state what you are doing is actually illegal, as wildlife is considered state property. You are what’s wrong with our hobby.

Sincerely,
Wink.

08/25/13  12:04pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2300642

Firstly, he was in my house which isn’t exactly natural habitat, and I saved him from being eaten by dogs. Secondly in California its perfectly legal with a fishing license which I have, and in fact the law states once an animal has been taken into captivity it is ILLEGAL to rerelease it so I’d be breaking the law if I did such. Thirdly I have many years experience in reptile husbandry and this little guy was newly hatched and has adapted to captivity well. He ate fine as I previously stated, and has already adjusted to human presence and interaction. I already had a 10gallon tank, heat pad, and light which is very comfortable living conditions. As a member previously stated in such a discussion, if you keep them well, in the right conditions, a life in captivity is much more favorable to one in the wild surrounded by predators and disease. I’d imagine the mortality rate for lizards in the wild is much higher than those in captivity. Not even mentioning the hideously obvious fact that all reptiles or any animals for that matter once had ancestors that were taken from the wild.. How do you think the first alligator lizards were captive bred?! Also there is still a vast number of reptiles in the trade today that are wild caught. Just because you buy it from a pet store, doesn’t mean it wasn’t once wild and LEGALLY obtained. These particular lizards are not sold in pet stores here, as you can just find them everywhere! Now I don’t go out and capture large numbers of lizards to sell on for my own personal profit, but if I come across a lizard in my house that I wish to keep to try to give it a good long life that’s my prerogative and I’d thank you for keeping your personal opinion to yourself.. As it clearly differs from mine, and many people on this site.

That being said, anyone have any advice that is actually valid and helpful?

08/25/13  12:29pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2300645

So thought I’d post an update even though no one actually replied with anything useful! The baby alligator lizard has started eating again really well. He must have just been still full from his first meal. He’s since eaten 5 more crickets and is very plump and active.

08/28/13  09:16am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2300700

Glad to hear he’s eating again. Sometimes this board isn’t checked for a week or so. Too much handling will sometimes put small gator lizards off feed. If they come to associate the keeper with being picked up, rather than being fed, they may get moody when food is offered. That, and going into shed as you mentioned as possibilities. Also lizard mites although you haven’t had it long enough of those to get out of control if that were the problem.

08/31/13  09:26am

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2300757

Thanks for a decent valid response! My lizard is doing really well. He seems to have grown even though I have yet to see him shed. I figure he must be eating them! He’s very perky and doesn’t even hide much any more, just wanders around his tank chilling on a log or top of some sticks. He’s taming up well. Doesn’t flinch and run off any more when the tank is moved or opened, and he’s stalking crickets and eating like a champ. I’ve watched him follow them around and sometimes wait by a stick he saw them go under until they decide to pop out, at which point his tail will twitch like a rattlesnake before he lunges! He’s too cool.
On a side note I had to wrangle another, very large, alli lizard from in my bathroom! Gave my wife quite a fright! Lol. After having my last one which was about the same size, and experiencing their bite I decided to scoop him up in a plastic tub rather than try and grab him. I figure he must have been looking for a decent brumation spot as the weather is starting to cool.
My little guy on the other hand seems to have perked up more recently. Do you think there will be any issues if I try to keep him from brumation this year? I figure as its his first year in the world and he’s never done it before, that as long as I can keep the temp up he won’t have to. Any issues in doing this that anyone knows about?

09/30/13  05:41pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2301443

Young Southern Alligator lizards will likely continue to eat over the winter if kept warm. If he goes off feed for more than two weeks then put his cage in a cool (50-65 F) place for 6-8 weeks. If they insist on hibernating then they will lose a lot of weight if kept warm. Always make sure there is fresh water in the cage in an easy-to-reach (= very low) container.

09/30/13  09:27pm

Jgator
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2301449

Thought I’d add an update since it’s been a while! My baby lizard is doing great! He’s taming well, and eating like a champ. I even now hand feed him medium sized crickets. He didn’t brumate during winter as I kept the heat pad under the tank and the temperatures fairly consistent. Just yesterday he shed without eating it for the first time, and his adult colors are finally starting to show! I measured the skin at about 5 1/2 to 6 inches long nose to tail (which is still his original tail, no drops!). Even though I’m calling it him, I still have no idea to the real sex of the lizard as it’s still way to small! Looking forward to him bulking up and growing in size this year, and hopefully letting me know what sex it is! Haha

04/29/14  12:03pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Jgator   In reference to Message Id: 2304934

It’s very hard to sex alligator lizards - there are some minor differences in head shape but one can easily be fooled by that. The females even evert a structure that looks like a hemipene. Professional herpetologists have a hard time telling based on external appearances. Glad your little guy is doing well. Some develop very striking reds or greens as they get bigger; post some pictures when you get a chance.

04/30/14  11:12am

Gyiki
View Profile

I just came across your post... I am also in California. My Alligator lizard is a larger one (maybe 12" for head to tip of tail)....He is doing the same thing. We have had him for around 3 weeks. He was eating crickets left & right & now has stopped eating for about 4 days or so (crickets will crawl right in front of his mouth & he doesn’t even seem to care).....He does the same thing with the water situation as yours did (only licks the droplets during misting)... We have him in a 10 gallon tank & we are currently addressing a mites issue (which we thought may have been the reason for the appetite loss)....Any advise you can give us? There are a lot of similarities with our concerns (I too am maybe feeling paranoid?)....

01/23/16  03:41pm

Acre
View Profile

What is the cage temperature? Is there a window in the room so that night and day lengths are obvious? Allies would be hibernating at this time of year.

01/26/16  12:01pm

Lizardlover2
View Profile

Message To: Gyiki   In reference to Message Id: 2316696

Hi Gyiki,

Our Alligator Lizards have done the same as you’ve described. This could be a couple of reasons:

1. Allies brumate during the winter season. Their digestive system slows down during this time and they eat way less (sometimes stop eating altogether for several days/weeks). Remember, if you are still feeding food to your Allies during their brumation period, make sure they poop so the food is not rotting in their tummies. If they aren’t pooping, then you can give them a bath. Let them soak (with their mouth, nose, and eyes above water) for 10 minutes. Soaking in water will help them poop. One of our Allies did not poop for 4 days after he ate (he was brumating) and we had to give him a bath. He pooped the next day!

2. They might be getting ready to shed. Juveniles shed very often as they are still growing. Our Allies shed once every month when they were about 3 weeks old and now they shed about once every 1.5-2 months (Our oldest is 6 months old and youngest is 4 months old). Shedding takes a toll on Allies since they shed the whole skin as apposed to pieces like other lizards. Since shedding takes a toll on their bodies, they often eat less, become more irritable, and like to be alone due to low energy.

I believe the reason for your Allie not eating is because of brumation as it is winter. I’m not sure if mites will have any effect with appetite as we’ve never had mites with our Allies but please keep us updated of his status! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! We would love to help as much as we can as we absolutely love Alligator Lizards and encourage more people to have them as pets.

02/03/16  08:37pm

Deromero23
View Profile

Hi! I’m new here. I need help. Today I was walking the dogs and almost stepped on a baby lizard. I think it is an alligator type. It is a baby. His eyes are not open. I don’t know of that’s normal. There was a lot of red ants. Too many and the poor animal was between them. I took it because it didn’t move much and seemed like the ants were going to eat it. I wasn’t sure what to do so I took it home this evening. I don’t want a pet that’s for sure but I don’t want it to die either. I used to have iguanas long time ago but never so small. Would somebody help me help this baby? What should I do with it? It just stay still and barely moves. I don’t know what to feed it because it is really small. I’m in San Diego. Please any help before it is too late will be appreciated. Would some pet store with reptile help or you think that anybody will care for it? [Image]

09/04/17  08:49pm

Deromero23
View Profile

Hi! I’m new here. I need help. Today I was walking the dogs and almost stepped on a baby lizard. I think it is an alligator type. It is a baby. His eyes are not open. I don’t know of that’s normal. There was a lot of red ants. Too many and the poor animal was between them. I took it because it didn’t move much and seemed like the ants were going to eat it. I wasn’t sure what to do so I took it home this evening. I don’t want a pet that’s for sure but I don’t want it to die either. I used to have iguanas long time ago but never so small. Would somebody help me help this baby? What should I do with it? It just stay still and barely moves. I don’t know what to feed it because it is really small. I’m in San Diego. Please any help before it is too late will be appreciated. Would some pet store with reptile help or you think that anybody will care for it?

09/04/17  08:50pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Deromero23   In reference to Message Id: 2321195

Ants will attack small lizards especially if they are too cool to run away. All you can do is set it up with a shallow water dish and daytime lamp for warmth (80-ish hot spot) and hope it recovers. If it is really weak you can pick it up, tilt it’s head back, and give it drops of water for re-hydration.

09/09/17  09:41am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area