Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lurk   Allielover   Lurk   Allielover   Lurk   Allielover   Lurk  

Member  Message

Lurk
View Profile

How to stop an Alligator Lizard from biting you?

So I have a small Alligator Lizard that is probably 2 1/2 inches long. His tail was already gone when I got him so he is probably longer than 2 and a half inches. I’m pretty sure he is a male from his triangular head. He is pretty mellow and doesn’t mind if I stroke his back (at least that is what I think.. xD). Though, when he starts wandering around on me he seems to get into this mood. If I try to pick him up, he will start squirming and will try to bite me (he has... doesn’t hurt though). Only once I hold him in my hand in a grip that doesn’t allow him to escape will he calm down, and then I can place him on my arm or lap and pet him (I am attempting to get him used to being touched). ANYWAY! As the title already pretty much fills in the gap, is there a way to make him stop biting me? Or... will he continue to do it until his last days, forever trying to beat the system...?

08/10/13  03:51pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Lurk   In reference to Message Id: 2300337

only pick him up when he’s in the mood. if he really doesn’t want you to he will try to bite. if he bolts when you open the lid, then he doesn’t want to be touched. also if they act like that they are either afraid, angry or are going to poop on you.

I have 6 allies

allielover

08/10/13  11:04pm

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2300353

Mmm.. well.. Will they forever be like that? Is there a way to get them to be very, I don’t know, restful? Is there a way to get them to the point to where you can pick them up and they wont try anything or be very limp? Are these unrealistic expectations for an Alligator Lizard?

08/12/13  08:54pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Lurk   In reference to Message Id: 2300398

it depends on the individual and its current mood. all pets, animals and humans have days or times when they don’t want to be touched. I have a mom lizard(Daimon) and her 5 almost yearling babies. daimon is either super chill or wants nothing to do with me. my calmest chilliest lizard is one of her sons( Erebus or Gimp(his spine and tail are very deformed)) is often so calm that if I stroke him the right way I can hold him on his back and stroke his belly. occasionally I can make them arch their backs too. one of erebuses sisters is almost as relaxed as him(Aqua), but the other one Violet almost never lets me touch her or hold her, and she’s bitten a couple times. Red or Rephaim will let me hold him, but if I put him on my body he wont stay still ever. some are just naturally calmer.

with one lizard you don’t have to deal with their social problems and violent attempts at breeding, but you don’t see them climbing and socializing together.

did that help you understand? what’s your little guys name?

08/13/13  12:32pm

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2300404

Yes it did help me. I am most obliged. My little guy’s name is Lurk from his slow lurking around when he is on me. I actually have another question though... Are Alligator Lizards solitary creatures or are they very social? Lurk recently shed, so he was kind of grumpy, almost as if he was on a period or something lol xD. Do they always act like that after they shed?

08/16/13  10:47pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Lurk   In reference to Message Id: 2300494

mine are social, they dog pile on each other and lick each other. mine are chill after they shed, but they may just be lazy and tired, I’m not sure.

allielover

08/22/13  11:21pm

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2300597

Hmm.. Interesting. He must not like me then.

08/23/13  12:13am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area