Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Picklelicious Poppet   Acre   Picklelicious Poppet   Zipper554  

Member  Message

Picklelicious Poppet
View Profile

Found this at my door

Hi everyone I’m new here, and need some help.

Last night my husband went out to the Jeep to grab something out of it. Next thing I know he’s running into the house, runs past me into the kitchen, and grabs a plastic bucket, then runs back outside. I’m in the middle of vacuuming and thinking "What on earth is going on?" Figured if it was important he would of said something, so I kept vacuuming and minding my own business. Next thing I know he comes walking back in the house saying "Honey look what I found!" I’m thinking some kind of cool bug or insect.. Nope it was a itty bitty lizard! He said he walked outside, and right in front of our door was this lizard, he thought it was a stick at first, then looked more at it and thought no its a toy lizard. Then it moved! That’s when he came running back in to grab the bucket.

I am told it is a Northern Alligator Lizard.. but am not sure if its Northern or Southern. I’m reading all the topics and everything to make sure I do everything right for it, but if anyone has any suggestions or help, it would be appreciated. I am not new to reptiles, I own 14 leopard geckos, a bearded dragon, a ball python, a corn snake and an RES turtle.. but I do not know anything about these lizards. I will get better pics in a bit, I didn’t want to stress him out too much last night.

08/08/13  11:14am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Picklelicious Poppet   In reference to Message Id: 2300292

Found this at my door

That’s a Southern and a nice looking one with the full tail. Most of the care sheets here are pretty good but basically if you care for it in a similar manner as Leopard geckos only without the misting - just provide a high humidity hide somewhere - it should be fine. Also night time drops are not a problem so just a hot spot getting to 80 F or a bit warmer during the day should be fine. I’m of the opinion that these don’t need UV; at least not adults or sub-adults like the one you have. Just dust the crickets periodically with a good supplement.
Congratulations - these are very engaging lizards.
Oh and check it for lizard mites periodically - they’re little red jobs that you can see if you wipe a paper towel around the lizard’s head and sides. If it has any at all they an get out of hand in a cage environment. Treat them with Pro-Vent-a Mite if they turn up.

08/08/13  10:13pm

Picklelicious Poppet
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2300305

Found this at my door

Thank you! Its a little thing, I’m not thinking anywhere close to an adult. Body size without tail is about 3 inches. Hopefully I set up its enclosure right. Unlike leopard geckos I read these guys need loose substrate and coco fiber was a good choice. So have that, then I have a nice sized rock water bowl for it to drink and swim in, a few logs and rock hides around the enclosure and a fake plant (I kill real ones lol) then a food bowl for it. A heat lamp on top of the tank, haven’t gotten a UVB light yet, but read they do need these? Did I read wrong? And would an UTH work better than a heat lamp? I know for LG’s the heat lamps can dry out their tanks raising the humidity which then can cause a respiratory virus, and also can burn their eyes. LG’s need belly heat to be healthy and digest properly, again are these guys belly heaters for baskers?

08/14/13  12:18pm

Zipper554
View Profile

Message To: Picklelicious Poppet   In reference to Message Id: 2300448

Found this at my door

My allies love to bask, although they’re Northerns but I believe that yours will be perfectly happy to bask as well.

07/09/14  05:22pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area