Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Guyzo   Geckoboy111100   Acre   Guyzo   Lurk   RedGator   Lurk  

Member  Message

Guyzo
View Profile

Found both dead today

Well...my redbacked lizard was stretched out over a log and the smaller greenish one was in the burrow zone curled in a circle, also dead. I have no idea what brought this on. In that they both perished so close together, timewise, makes me somewhat certain it was a husbandry issue(well..obviously, but on what level...)

The redbacked one had been in captivity for a good while and appeared to have acclimated reasonably well...feeding,drinking, basking..though it had yet to shed. The second to be delivered by the cats did begin to feed on mealworms(never with quite the vigor of the other) but then seemed to become disinterested in these items. The redbacked lizard had also declned mealworms for the last day and a half, but did take a couple of crickets yesterday.

But i am at loss...perhaps it was issue of cat induced injury, but i cant see that as a viable explination due to the relative proximity timewise of their respective demises. Maybe this was the result of a failure to quarenteen the second lizard..i just dont know...

It strikes me as odd in that the western fence lizards the cats brought me have just hatched out a clutch of eggs....then these two guys just up and die....

Any thoughts or ideas as to what brought this on?

Guy

07/15/13  01:26am

Geckoboy111100
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299560

Found both dead today

maybe they had some sort of internal parasite. so sorry R.I.P.

07/15/13  03:05am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299560

Found both dead today

Sorry to hear this. You might want to check the cage and carcasses (if you still have them) for little red lizard mites. Sometimes they have a few and in a cage where they have nowhere to go the mites multiply into thousands. A white cloth or paper towel swabbed over things usually turns them up. Other than that.... I don’t know. It is odd as fence lizards are typically harder to keep as they have a much higher UV requirement.

07/15/13  09:46pm

Guyzo
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2299572

Found both dead today

No...it.wasnt mites...ive kept reptiles for over 40 years( yet somehow i failed these alligator lizards...) and while i havent seen them for a long time, i doubt they’ve changed mites to the point where i would be unable.to detect them. That and the decline occured far too rapidly with them both for it to have been mites...tis a mystery to me...thanks for your input!

Guy

07/16/13  05:33am

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299583

Found both dead today

Mmmm, the one that had been caught by a cat probably died from the cats horrible bacterial mouth. It works almost like venom O_o. Most small animals that get caught by cats don’t live later on, even if they did escape the cat’s jaws. Cats get so much bacteria in their mouths it isn’t even funny (it means you should refrain from kissing your cat on its mouth). The animal’s small body cannot handle the bacteria. As for the other lizard... Mmm... I have no idea.

08/10/13  03:59pm

RedGator
View Profile

Message To: Guyzo   In reference to Message Id: 2299583

Found both dead today

I agree with the mite thing. Sometimes you just can’t see them until the moment of death. Allies are very good at concealing a severe infestation up to the very last breath. It’s the only reason I know (other than swallowing poison, perhaps) for one to suddenly drop dead - and it is sudden. One moment they walk by looking just fine; fifteen minutes later, they’re gone.

08/14/13  12:12am

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: RedGator   In reference to Message Id: 2300425

Found both dead today

Fifteen minutes later... They’re gone... lol

08/18/13  03:25pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area