Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shikanoa   Acre   Rexxaroo  

Member  Message

Shikanoa
View Profile

Feeding Help!! Part 2

So I have these "Fluker’s Freeze-Dried Crickets" (Gut loaded with calcium) for my Alligator Lizard. Ive put them in his dish and he hasnt touched them. he crawled right over them without hesitation. I know alligator lizards prefer moving, live food but this is what i have at my disposal. Why isnt he eating them? I put a single one right in front of him and he did nothing so I started moving it with a pencil, which gained his attention, but after his first (small) bite I stopped moving it so he turned away. Ive tried tieing one to dental floss and moved it but he was unresponsive. He even licked it once then turned away. I was under the impression they eat these. I know he is hungry because he’s tried to bite at my pencil and i havent been able to get him all the food he would want till now.

06/02/13  10:13pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Shikanoa   In reference to Message Id: 2298131

Feeding Help!! Part 2

Never had one that would take dead stuff, even when I was little. I’d get live crickets, live kingworms, or live bugs from your neighborhood. Some people have reported them eating cat food but I doubt that would make a healthy steady diet even if he/she took it.

06/03/13  05:25pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2298150

Feeding Help!! Part 2

Do not feed freeze dried, it has no nutritional value. Dont feed commercial foods, and dont feed outside bugs. Yes it is wild caught, but if you want it to be healthy in captivity, start gut loading your own crix and mealworms, and dusting with calcium.
Provide an aquarium as a habitat, and provide proper heat and UVB lighting.
Coil lighting and light from a window is not proper.
Check out some care sheets, and do some research on google to get proper info.
If you cannot properly house and feed the animal, please et it go happily outside where im sure it would be happier living any how :)
Good luck!

Rexx

06/04/13  08:44pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area