Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Oondasta   Oondasta   Acre  

Member  Message

Oondasta
View Profile

"Rescued" Alligator Lizard

Okay guys and gals,

I’m new here but I came in need of some advice. I’m pretty experienced with reptiles as I’ve had pets (usually lizard/geckos) since I was a kid. I recently was driving home from work when I noticed what I thought was a snake in the middle of the road. Long story short, it turns out to be a large alligator lizard.

After inspection, the thing was in pretty bad shape. Not wanting to let the thing wander in the road I decided to "help it". After further inspection, I removed two ticks from its neck. I gave it a warm water soak and sprayed for mites (thought haven’t seen any). I’ve been really concerned with its eyes though. One, which appeared to be completely missing and healed over, was just shut. It does open and I can see the eye, however it doesn’t open it for long. The other eye looks much better but still won’t open and I haven’t seen that eye. It looks like its just keeping it closed.

I’ve had the lizard for two days now. I’ve given it general care. Though I have experience, I am by no means an expert and have never had an alligator lizard. I’ve been giving it water with a dropper and it does drink (roughly 1ml at a time) It’s tongue doesn’t looked forked like in pictures I see. I have a bunch of pictures but they don’t seem to want to load because of file size. I’m concerned with its appetite and how long I should take to treat its eyes. It hasn’t eaten (which, I understand a waiting period to get used to its new surroundings) but need advice on how to proceed.

I plan on treating its eyes and once open/functioning, releasing it back to the wild. I’d also like to ask, if its eyes don’t open... How would you proceed? Any suggestions would be great and I appreciate all of the help in advance. Thanks.

04/25/13  09:32pm

Oondasta
View Profile

Message To: Oondasta   In reference to Message Id: 2296307

Update: The Alligator Lizard has been opening one of its eye more often and I found excrement in the cage. He still hasn’t eaten though. I’ve been trying meal worms but, it doesn’t seem to want them. Onto a cricket or two in the cage.

04/26/13  05:21pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Oondasta   In reference to Message Id: 2296342

Crickets move more and attract more attention. It’s hard to give advice without knowing what problems the allie has; sounds like it may have been clipped by a car or bike.
Is there a heat source is the cage?
To get nutrition into a non-feeding alligator lizard one can stroke the side of the mouth. This will cause them to open, at which point a vitamin-dusted cricket can be inserted; the allie will usually the swallow it as long as it is being handled gently. It may take a few tries.

04/29/13  12:17am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area