Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Allielover   Acre   Allielover   Acre   Acre  

Member  Message

Allielover
View Profile

Pregnant allie questions

what months are the typical Allie breeding season? how long are they pregnant or gravid for depending on the species? i have northwesterns and i think my female got bread on Thursday.

04/06/13  12:25am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2295115

Pregnant allie questions

I have Southerns so this may not be relevant but mine are breeding now. As I recall from last year it was 6-8 weeks from breeding to egg laying and 45-50 days to egg hatching at 78 F.

04/07/13  10:09am

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2295202

Pregnant allie questions

cool thanks :) , so I’ll assume late June early July if i see her getting really fat. ;)

are your Allies violent when breeding? i read that the male bites the females head while they mate, but my female got alot more hurt than i thought she would. the whole space from the back of her eyes to the back of her skull was raged scales and blood specks, she had a open bloody wound under her jaw(bigger than her eye or ear opening) and a wound on her tail. shes separated from the male and is healing now.

thanks, allelover

04/08/13  01:09am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2295243

Pregnant allie questions

They can be pretty aggressive, especially if there is a large size differential between the male and female. This can work both ways; a small male may have so much trouble getting the right grip on a large female that he does more damage than a larger male would. Copulation can last almost a full day. A well nourished female will heal up fine.
Often they don’t swell up much when gravid, even when they have 9 or more eggs in them. An increase in activity and probing/digging actions are the best indicator that they are close to laying eggs. Always have a partially submerged box of moist something - moss, vermiculite, paper towel, whatever, keep it in the same place in the cage all the time, and check it frequently.

04/09/13  05:51pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2295357

Pregnant allie questions

...I should add again that of course I’m talking Southerns here.

04/09/13  09:03pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area