Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mr. Kipling   Rexxaroo   Mr. Kipling   Rexxaroo   9entGhus0   Acre   Acre  

Member  Message

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Southern alligator acting weird

I have a southern alligator lizard. it is an adult and I’ve had it for 3 weeks. lately its been acting strange clawing vertically against the sides of my 10 gallon tank. I have been misting it, feeding it gut loaded crickets and mealworms, giving it water, and I keep it outside. I don’t have it on any supplements or heat lamps. I think it may also be pregnant.

04/03/13  03:02pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Kipling   In reference to Message Id: 2294940

Well i suggest a proper set up asap. Either that, or let it go if it is wild caught. If you can post a pic of set up and the animal that will help greatly. There are plenty of care sheets on how to properly care for your allie. Good luck

Rexx

04/04/13  10:52pm

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2295052

I decided to let it go

04/08/13  10:00pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Kipling   In reference to Message Id: 2295309

You did a great deed to yourself and that lizard :) Im glad you took my advice, he will be much happier :)

Rexx

04/08/13  10:47pm

9entGhus0
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2295052

Hi, i have a southern alligator lizard for about a month and a half. the past few weeks i notice the southerner lizard has been looking pretty thick and pretty plumped. the tail has a swollen red kind of color on it’s tail.
I assume that it might be pregnant because last month the two alligator lizards look all tangled up on each other and they had been it the award position more over than 30mins. The one i assume a male had it’s jaw locked on to the "pregnant" one’s head. if all possibilities or facts, how would one take care of it if or who would I determine if the one that i assume is pregnant might be a male one and maybe is ill?
I’m really concern about the situation it is in. this is my first reptile pet i have. thank you

here are photos of my alligator lizard(Is it a boy or a girl ?)the first two photos where taken a month ago

[/URL]
05/17.13

[/URL]
[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/gotno/media/IMG_3164_zps58154110.jpg.html]

[/URL]
[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/gotno/media/IMG_3166_zps3985955f.jpg.html]

[/URL]

05/17/13  04:37pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: 9entGhus0   In reference to Message Id: 2297435

The correct term for a Southern would be "gravid" as Southerns lay eggs. It’s very hard to tell when they are full of eggs as opposed to just a bit fat. If they become agitated and dig a lot that can indicate that they have eggs to lay. Provide a container of damp (but not soggy) green moss or vermiculite or even just paper towel. Partially bury the container in the substrate to make it easy to get into; a plastic top with a hole cut in it will keep in the moisture. The eggs must not be rotated once they are laid. They will hatch, provided they don’t dry out, at temperatures anywhere from about 70 to 85F. 78F seems to be best. Incubators can be purchased or home-made; there are various designs online most of which involve an aquarium heater and a Styrofoam box.

05/17/13  11:23pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: 9entGhus0   In reference to Message Id: 2297435

Oh and I wouldn’t read anything into the red tail; some red coloration is normal on Southerns and it isn’t always visible.

05/17/13  11:30pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area