Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kyliemo   Acre   Mr. Kipling  

Member  Message

Kyliemo
View Profile

I don’t know what is wrong with my alligator lizard!

I’ve had my alligator lizard for about 8 or 9 years now. I have no idea how old she is, but she’s a very calm and docile. She’s never had problems before, she has always eaten, never bitten, and as far as I can tell, she likes to be held. Well, these past few years I have not been as vigilant in holding her, but I still feed her and take care of her. She has everything she needs. But this last time that I’ve taken her out to clean her cage, I found that something was wrong with her mouth. It almost looked as if her jaw was dislocated. It was straight, so not to the side of anything, but her bottom jaw was sort of.... in... so it looked like you could see the inside of her top jaw, just a little bit. SO it’s basically like her bottom jaw is pushed in. I don’t know if she’s been eating, I gave her crickets a few days ago and there’s still a bunch in her cage, but I don’t know if she has eaten any. She still sticks out her tongue like normal. Does anyone know what’s wrong with her?

03/29/13  03:14pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Kyliemo   In reference to Message Id: 2294593

Hard to say without pictures. Did she shed recently? Sometimes they can push things a bit out of alignment temporarily when breaking the old skin to start the shed. An infected mass or an abscess in the mouth can also do the same thing. Likely a vet would need to examine her for a definitive answer; if it is an infection of some sort it will likely cost ballpark $100 to $500 to diagnose and treat. You might start by picking her up and stroking the side of the jaw - this gets them to open their mouths wide so you can see what’s going on inside.

04/07/13  10:06am

Mr. Kipling
View Profile

Message To: Kyliemo   In reference to Message Id: 2294593

It might just be from a lack of calcium in their diet(metabolic bone disease).

04/12/13  07:48pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area