Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RebornC4   The Lone Glider   RebornC4   The Lone Glider   RebornC4   The Lone Glider   RebornC4   The Lone Glider   RebornC4   Alligirl   Acre   MisterKabob  

Member  Message

RebornC4
View Profile

NEED Advice on alligator lizard!!!!!

I have a alligator lizard that my girl friend found in her trash can and need some advice on how to take care of it i recently got a tank for it i think its a 30 gallon tank with dirt and a light bulb but the light went out so I’m using a regular light bulb and I’m kinda scared if it my harm my lizard is it safe ?

and Ive been feeding it crickets is there a certain amount i should be feeding it daily ?

what does it mean when it shakes its head side to side when it walks?

what happens when it stays way from water does it drink water at all or interact in some way with it?

answer will help me so much please and thank you

03/19/13  01:33am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: RebornC4   In reference to Message Id: 2293983

Can you post pictures? That is fine as long as it is reaching 75 to 85 degrees. and the humidity at 50%.
*It may not eat after being moved.. It is probably under a lot of stress.. But feed as many crickets as it can eat in 30 min till it get up to weight (if under weight) and also feed meal worms too. They like that.
*Most alligator lizards enjoy living in the forest so you should make the terrarium seem like a forest to the lizards. Add logs, plants, small caves, etc to your terrarium to keep the lizards happy. You may not see your alligator lizard/lizards drink anything at first, but they need some time to get use to the new terrarium.
I use tree bark and dirt mixture that represents a forest better. I use a water dish the lizards could see as a natural rock holding water I think it looks better and it makes them feel better.
I also use a heating pad under the terrarium to keep the alligator lizards warm at night.

03/19/13  05:05am

RebornC4
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293992

thank you so much and what happens if i don’t have a heating rock could he or she survive the night with out being warm at night since it was from the wild?

03/19/13  12:06pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: RebornC4   In reference to Message Id: 2294009

If you put the heating pad under where he/she sleeps it will be fine without the heat rock.. Just follow what I said above and you should do fine.

03/19/13  02:23pm

RebornC4
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294014

ok and ima put images so u could tell me how my outlook looks for him and i have close ups of him to and should i put more rocks ?? and leafs?

03/19/13  04:33pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: RebornC4   In reference to Message Id: 2294021

Yeah. get more rocks. Make another hide out of them and make sure its stable. You will need a UV light. and crickets should be the main diet and need to be gut loaded. also feed meal worms. Temps should be 75 on the cool side and a basking area of 85-90.

03/19/13  07:04pm

RebornC4
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294035

Ok thank u very much that helped me alot this should make him feel more like home oh well her im not really sure what sex it is would u no by the pictures ?

03/20/13  08:16pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: RebornC4   In reference to Message Id: 2294070

I wouldn’t. Lol. Sorry.. Maybe someone else would?

03/20/13  10:26pm

RebornC4
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2294077

ok thanks haha

03/21/13  07:27pm

Alligirl
View Profile

Message To: RebornC4   In reference to Message Id: 2294009

I have two wild alligator lizards one survived though the whole night without heat but when you get up put near the sunlight where it’ll get just enough sun

03/26/13  01:06pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Alligirl   In reference to Message Id: 2294385

Most of my Southern Alligator Lizards are not heated at night. They wouldn’t be in the wild, although they may go beneath rocks or logs or in holes to escape the worst of the night cold. My lights go on early - I have them on timers so I don’t need to remember to turn them on and off.

03/26/13  02:43pm

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2294389

You’re alli looks like a Female. It would be easier to tell with a picture of the top of its head. With most alligator lizards you want to have peices of bark for them to go under, in the wild you will find most alligator lizards under peices of ply wood or bark, because it gets moist under them. It will also require a place to climb up higher, maybe a large rock or piles of sticks with a plant over them. They like to get up high to bask in the light but need to feel hiden because alli’s tend to be pretty shy at first.

You will need a UVB lamp so the alli can get natural uvb rays like it would in the wild.
I do not recomend using a heat rock because they can burn the belly and organs of the lizard.
I would get a heat lamp for it, and keep that on the same side as the water bowl so it can raise the humidity in the tank.

for bedding i would use a mixture of potting soil and bark, so it cant accidently lick up the potting soil, but so i can dig around a little bit.

It is a good idea to spray the tank with a spray bottle, since the lizard is from the wild it is not going to understand what a bowl is, so it will lick up water off of leaves and rocks.

Also when feeding i would recomend moving the alligator lizard into another container, so that you dont have left over crickets in its tank. Crickets will chew and bite on your lizard because they will get bored. This stresses out and will potentially kill your lizard. which is not good haha. They dont always eat every day. so i would try feeding it every other day. It might go with out food for a while because it is stressed.

Go to the store and get a heat lamp and uvb lamp. and all will be good :) maybe get some fake plants that look natural because they like those and like to hide alot. also turn off the lights at night so it gets a schedual and understands what time it is. Since in the wild it is colder, there really isnt a need to have heat in the cage if your house isnt dramaticly cold at night.

once again if you take a picture of a birds eye view of your lizards head i can tell you what gender it is. :) hope all goes well! good luck with your new little buddy! Alligator lizards are alot of fun to have, especially when they trust you and start allowing you to hold them all the time.

05/14/13  12:31pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area