Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Zipper554   Allielover   Acre   Iama   Zipper554   Zipper554   Zipper554  

Member  Message

Zipper554
View Profile

Hibernation Question in cool homemade house?

My lizard is a Northern Alligator Lizard. Since it is warm in the house in the winter, will it effect my lizard? I caught him (or her), but the little guy is so tame now. We made the house ourselves. My dad designed it and my grandpa cut it out on his bandsaw. It is so nice because we can lift off the lid and see the little guy.
Do you think this house is suitable for him?

09/27/12  11:17pm

Allielover
View Profile

Message To: Zipper554   In reference to Message Id: 2281556

i’m wondering about the hiberating too :p

but i love the house, i want one for my northerns.does he/she ever sit on top of it?i have one adult female and her 5 one month old babys. mom is 9inches long, 5.5 tail, 3.5 body
her name is Daimon.

how big is yours?

09/28/12  12:46am

Acre
View Profile

Great pictures, especially the one with the Northern looking up at you (my Southerns do that all the time) and a REALLY nice house! You and your dad should go into business with those things. You could make a "sunning deck" accessory that goes on top so the allies could climb up to the heat or stay where it’s cooler - or add something that doubles as a handle to lift the top off and a sunning deck.
I have lots of temperate herps and it is a bit of a problem in Winter - many go off feed but since it’s warm they lose weight. Ideally you should find a cool spot in the house - maybe in the 60’s - maybe a lower room or closet - and hibernate your Northern there for a couple months or so after first fasting him for a week or two so there’s nothing left in his gut. Alternatively you can just keep feeding him through Winter. If he goes off feed and loses weight he’ll make it up in the Spring.

09/28/12  12:02pm

Iama
View Profile

First off I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your allie’s house! ^_^ I wish I had one for my allie’s. Second, I will answer your question. If it is warm in the house, then yes it will affect his (or her) hibernation. Hibernation is brought on my cold temperatures because allie’s imeadiatly go into "it’s cold and there isn’t food when it’s cold" mode. So if your allie doesn’t hibernate because of the temperature, it’s no big deal as long as you feed him (or her) through the winter. As I said it’s just a natural thing. If he does though, leave him alone to do his thing. ^_^ Hope that helps

09/29/12  02:04pm

Zipper554
View Profile

Message To: Allielover   In reference to Message Id: 2281562

he sits on it occasionally, but usually spends time in it.hes about 3 1/3 in long.

09/29/12  07:05pm

Zipper554
View Profile

Message To: Iama   In reference to Message Id: 2281642

thanks for the info.

09/29/12  07:08pm

Zipper554
View Profile

Message To: Iama   In reference to Message Id: 2281642

Thanks that is very helpful.

07/09/14  04:48pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area