Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

JenniferlSetzer   MisterKabob   Ilovelizzards1011   Ilovelizzards1011   Ilovelizzards1011   JenniferlSetzer   MisterKabob   Getscared   1cutie   MisterKabob   Getscared   Lurk  

Member  Message

JenniferlSetzer
View Profile

Found a baby alligator lizard. Have some unanswered questions.

So a co worker of mine found this little guy wandering around inside the clinic we work at, first she was going to "get rid" of him but I intercepted and brought him home. I set him up with a little tank with fresh dirt leaves and branches to climb on with a water source 3x3 1/2in deep. So far hes been doing good eating worms and I plan on getting him pinhead crickets tomorrow, was just wonder if anyone had an idea on how much I can handle him. I don’t want to over do it but I also want him to get used to being held too. Just wondering if anyone knew. He is about 3in long from nose to tip of tail and as skinny as a pencil so I don’t think hes very old. I live in Washington state and from pictures off the net im pretty sure hes a Northwestern Alligator lizard. Also wanted to know if anyone knew how fast they grow. Ive already got an upgrade tank for when he gets bigged too. Well anyways was just wondering if anyone had any answers to my questions or helpful hints or tips. And yes I know I should have just let him go but ive really been wanting a reptile for a long time and if I can raise one from a baby i think that would be even better, so yes I have considered letting him go but I’m not going to so I just want to make sure that I give him the best home possible.

09/26/10  03:39am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: JenniferlSetzer   In reference to Message Id: 2177505

Congratulations! if he/she is eating well in captivity i dont think there is anything wrong with keeping him! well i dont think you should be holding him very much since he is so small. but just putting your hand in the tank, letting the little one get use to the idea that your hand will not hurt him. also when ever you give the little one its food, put the food into your hand & let the lizard see the food then set it down. this way your lizard will associate that you give it food (this is good) once the lizard gets a little bigger you may hold it more! once you do the stuff i provided you for a while you may start to hold your little scaled friend
when you hold your lizard, make sure you dont hold him by the tail. also make the first few days short holding times, your lizard will be very fast so make sure you keep your hand near a tank! only hold the lizard once a day to avoid it getting to stressed out. after about maybe 5 or 7 days you may hold the lizard longer, remember only once a day. once your lizard gets accustom to holding time you may once again hold it longer, and more than once a day.
This is how i tamed my Alligator Lizard Bob. he is 9 years old and we have been best friends!
Now the instructions i have told you work best on adults since babies stress out more easily. i have tried with young alligator lizards but it takes longer. i am currently working on taming a 4 month old baby myself, his name is paw-paw 5 1/2 inches.

well hope this helps you out with taming.
for growing, it depends on how much you feed them and how often. they usually get full grown by the age of 3 i think. bob stopped growing at that age. it can take longer or shorter depending on your alligator lizard. and what/when/and amount you feed it.

hope i helped!
Best of Luck

Megan Wolfe

09/28/10  10:59pm

Ilovelizzards1011
View Profile

ok please i ask u PLEASE do NOT handle him we want him to go back into the wild were he belongs ok lizards HATE i say HATE not runnig free i suget letting him eat on his own so put some pin head crickets in and u will be fine

10/11/10  09:20pm

Ilovelizzards1011
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2178109

mega wolf no ! u dummy they need to go out to the wild how would u like it if u were in a tank all yr life hmm i dont think you would like it and my all is not eatin my cat tore his tail off what should i do ?

10/11/10  09:22pm

Ilovelizzards1011
View Profile

ummm my lizards is really fast and i kinda want to tame him beut he wont eat and ive been feeding him crill but i dont know if he is eat it because we have dirt in there and should i get another alli beacusse i think he gets lonely but i found him and with out his tail wich he dose not have thanks to my cat he’s probally an inch long i tryed to take a pic but idont kno how to upload it and he is a blackish forest green please help me !!!!!!!!!!!

10/12/10  01:15pm

JenniferlSetzer
View Profile

Well its been almost a month now and he seems to be doing great, hes eating flightless fruit flies and running around his 10gal tank all happy like and climbing on the rocks and leaves I put in there. I’ve been handling him very minimally mostly like a min or so every few days, and he doesn’t seem to mind me, he doesn’t do his little "puff up puff up" thing anymore. He doesn’t look like hes grown much yet but he’s definitely eating and loving the heck out of those flies, he chases them around and catches them when i dump some in there. Just an up date, thanks for your help everyone!

10/16/10  09:43am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: JenniferlSetzer   In reference to Message Id: 2181445

that’s great!! and Ilovelizzards i dont see why you even have to say that. it was very rude and unnecessary. i know they should be in the wild, but you said you found the lizard on your front porch but you are keeping it. i dont see why you have to try to make an argument with me, i am just trying to help someone out, i my self have found and keep a baby alligator lizard i named him paw-paw, he loves being inside because there is no treat to him, free food, lots of hides and plants, and gets a heat source 24/7. if i was a lizard and some one who was knowledgeable and knew what they were doing i wouldn’t find a difference in being in a safe secure tank than being in the wild with predators around me 24/7. i dont want to start a argument with you. and for your lizard

for your tank put paper towels down covering all of the bottom of you tank. and that should be good for substrate, so nothing gets into the wound. but to add pictures go to image maker and get your photo list. add the URL of your photo into the image maker and that should work! or you can put [ Image ] picture URL [ /Image ] no spaces. hope that helped. it will be nice to see what it looks like so i can give you proper instructions

10/16/10  01:21pm

Getscared
View Profile

Here is what I dont get.
I see this all the time, People keep all these animals as pets captive bred but when someone finds the same species in the wild and keeps it everyone FLIPS
I understand it is different than a captive bred but its not THAT different its still the same species with the same insticnts and needs. If the animal has adjusted to captivity whats the problem?

I mean if it manages to adjust to captivity it should count itself lucky to have a safe home with easy food as long as its well cared for.

10/16/10  02:36pm

1cutie
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2181488

i agree

10/17/10  11:51am

MisterKabob
View Profile

Message To: 1cutie   In reference to Message Id: 2181634

yeah! thank you. even though there are captive breed alligator lizards they still where originally found in the wild & we brought them in. if you say they should be only in the wild then you can not have one with out being a hypocrite. they all started in the wild, but they are getting a nice safe home with food & loving friend. i dont see why people have to even start arguments about this.

10/17/10  12:02pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: MisterKabob   In reference to Message Id: 2181638

Exactly. I mean if the lizard was having trouble adjusting by all means release it but otherwise it seems fine to me.

10/17/10  12:52pm

Lurk
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2181643

I think it is absolutely fine to keep a lizard in a tank. It must be young when you get it though. If you get it when it is an adult.... it WILL know something is different. But if it is just a young juvenile... then it wont know anything different. Really... Animals are NOT like humans, so you cannot compare them to us.

08/10/13  03:25pm

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area