Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligator Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Newbie50   Kaiser!!!   Newbie50   Camaro man   Dave15run   John50   Hunter Breed   Ameivaboy   Halloweenbrian  

Member  Message

Newbie50
View Profile

Texas Alligator Lizard Hot Spots

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good collecting spot for Texas Alligator Lizards? I have a southern alli that I found under a log a few years ago. He is one of my favorite pets! I’ve found the southern ones, with some consistency, in old utility boxes/gutters in slightly wooded areas.

Does anyone know of some good habitat areas in Texas? I read in one of the forums that this time of year they can be found as hatchlings in the greenbelts of Austin. I am not a big collector, (have enough responsibilities :) however I have a dear friend who is a huge herp-enthusiast. One of her pets just past away last week, and she was pretty tore up about it. I know that she has really been wanting a TX alligator lizard for a long time, and it just so happens that my husband will be driving through Texas (I-10) during the next couple of weeks. He was going to keep an eye out for one, because I think it would really cheer her up. So, if you know of any places along Hwy 10, please reply.

Thanks for any help!

10/03/08  04:26am

Kaiser!!!
View Profile

Message To: Newbie50   In reference to Message Id: 1873693

Look for black.... (Heat).. Low shrubbs is a great spot... Rocks...splits in wood, anything..

10/03/08  07:04pm

Newbie50
View Profile

Message To: Kaiser!!!   In reference to Message Id: 1874113

Great! Thanks for the tips, Kaiser.

10/04/08  01:07am

Camaro man
View Profile

Message To: Newbie50   In reference to Message Id: 1874337

i dont live in texas but when i find allis there usually near trees and some where near a garden or something like that

10/04/08  06:09pm

Dave15run
View Profile

The last one I caught was at the Barton Creek hiking trail in south Austin. They spend a lot of their time about six inches to a foot off the ground on branch leaves. They blend in VERY well. Once you spot one it will be easier. They are reluctant to move and therefore do not give their presence away. It also makes them easier to catch if you spot one. I suppose you have been warned that they BITE! I have had mine for two weeks. Unlike their California relatives, they calm down very quickly. I can now pick him up by hand if I move slowly. I only handle him once a week and it is more of a health check. I think they are a beautiful lizard. I like the idea that they are a slow and ponderous lizard but have found a way to thrive.

Dave

03/27/09  02:46pm

John50
View Profile

hi , i have just caught one this afternoon an you are more then welcome to have it , its about a foot long maybe a bit longer . if you want let me know, i live in Ingram Tx. showed it to my grandchildren and was going to release this weekend. but will keep for you. let me know .

10/22/10  08:00pm

Hunter Breed
View Profile

Message To: John50   In reference to Message Id: 2182776

did you say you find southern allies in texas? dont think they live there, maybe manderans do, but anyways i would also be interested in texas allies or manderan allies .........

10/24/10  05:20am

Ameivaboy
View Profile

Message To: Hunter Breed   In reference to Message Id: 2183023

If someone can get 5-10 texas gator lizards I’ll buy them off you, either that or send you some animals in trade.

10/24/10  06:12pm

Halloweenbrian
View Profile

Message To: John50   In reference to Message Id: 2182776

I am down here in Bastrop and would very much like to find some Texas Alligator Lizards. I have been wanting to start a captive breeding project, but I just can’t seem to find them around here.

05/03/13  12:16am

Back to Alligator Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area