Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Agamas Forum

ThyDemise   Deadvenom-x   ThyDemise   Deadvenom-x   ThyDemise   Deadvenom-x   D0nut   ThyDemise   ThyDemise   Deadvenom-x   ThyDemise  
 Member  Message

ThyDemise
View Profile

New pale agamas, need help

i got some pale agamas yetsterday (ordered online). i was told one of the females has been laying lately, so i expected her to be a little on the tired side. well, shes pretty much lifeless. tried to put her in some water to hydrate her and she wont even hold her head up above the water, i have to prop it up so she wont drown. most of the time her eyes are closed, occasionally open. ive seen her move a couple times but not much. she managed to eat some mealworms yesterday (was waiting on shipment of crix, which i got today, which they wont touch) and she threw em all back up this morning, one of the males did the same thing. i got some pheonix worms with the crix today that one of the agamas actually ate, the rest of them did nothing. i expect that much for the first few days or so while they adjust. but the big female is worrying me with how much she doenst move, and when you pick her up it feels like she has no bones in her, just mush. i will try and get pictures if that will help. any tips to help them adjust or an alternate feeding option?

06/25/09  12:56pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: ThyDemise   In reference to Message Id: 2028606

Hello! first off, go over this caresheet I made over for Pale Agamas: Link

Second, try feeding small, soft bodied insects.. mealworms are not the best for this situation it seems... and get ahold of an exotic vet if you can. Over feeding causes them to regurge...along with stress. Seperate the weak female from the rest as well and keep her on paper towel. I would seriously call a vet though and possibly get them checked over.

Hope all goes well!

06/25/09  01:12pm

ThyDemise
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2028613

thanks, yea i checked over that caresheet numerous times long before i decided to get them tryin to find all the info i could so i was prepared, info is pretty scarce so thanks for makin that up.

i didnt really want to feed them mealies but its all i had, my crix were a day late, but theyre here now and most of them are eating. the big gal is still limp and lifeless practically. found a local vet just have to get ahold of him to make an appointment, well see what happens. the little ones are doing great, running around climbing, jumping, but the biggest male and female look pretty rough

06/27/09  11:27am

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: ThyDemise   In reference to Message Id: 2029726

Considering I can guarantee they are all Wild Caught, the large ones may just be really old. my male hasnt been so hot lately... feeding response has drastically went down and has small"spazzes" of energy as if he has been attacked. So this is telling me his time is coming. He used to be one hyper active lizard who was curious about everything, but..life goes on. If you want you can also soak them both in pedialyte(sp?) (no flavour) to help with hydration. I found the best way to get nutrients in a weak agama (like i am dealing with now) is snip open a pinkie head and squeeze out the brain juices on the snout so they lap it up. I dont recall if i said that already...sorry if i did :P

06/27/09  01:39pm

ThyDemise
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2029787

well she died today. kind of figured she wouldnt last. now i got my eye on the other big guy. actually theyre all captive hatched between 9 months and a year old, their parents were wild caught tho. i remember reading about that on another thread i think. where do you get pinkies?

06/27/09  04:14pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: ThyDemise   In reference to Message Id: 2029850

aw, I’m sorry to hear! i still dont believe them being captive hatched. They wouldnt be in the state they are in if they were. You can buy Frozen pinkies at any petstore..petco for example. Just thaw it out and snip the top of the head.

06/27/09  06:53pm

D0nut
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2029938

well this guy doesnt lie about his wild caughts, hell come right out and tell you up front. captive doesnt equal healthy, they get sick wild or not. the other 4 are doin good, got my eye on the other one, hell stand up once in a while and get blue, but hes far from active like the others. its still only been a few days to adjust, by early next week if he doesnt pick up im gonna make a vet appointment. thanks for the help, dont know many other owners.

06/27/09  07:41pm

ThyDemise
View Profile

Message To: D0nut   In reference to Message Id: 2029971

oops, signed into the wrong account

06/27/09  08:29pm

ThyDemise
View Profile

Message To: ThyDemise   In reference to Message Id: 2029997

woo! he ate two crix today

06/28/09  08:34am

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: ThyDemise   In reference to Message Id: 2030219

awesome ! glad to hear. May help if you supplement the crickets if you are not already with calcium powder :P

06/28/09  09:47am

ThyDemise
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2030241

i am :)

06/28/09  10:29am

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area