Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Agamas Forum

McMom   Deadvenom-x   Marsh hunter   McMom   Deadvenom-x   McMom   Deadvenom-x  
 Member  Message

McMom
View Profile

New Blue Throated Agama owners

Hi,

My 10 year old son got a new lizard at the pet store today and have determined it to be what we think is a blue throated agama. Just checking here to see if we are correct in this identification, and to see if there are other blue throat agama owners out there. Our pet store owner called it a "false bearded dragon" and the beardie group moderators helped us ID it as the blue throat agama. Hoping to learn as much as we can to help this little guy to thrive. Any and all help is appreciated.

06/12/09  11:27pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: McMom   In reference to Message Id: 2021273

Hello!

I cannot see your photo, but does it look like this? If so it is a Desert Pale Agama aka Blue Bearded Agama. I have a caresheet on here for them here:

Link

06/13/09  10:49pm

Marsh hunter
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2021845

Congrats those are SWEET!

06/14/09  05:34pm

McMom
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2021845

Yes! Thanks so much for posting those photos. Our little one looks very much like those first couple photos. He is a lighter yellowish color with the greenish color markings. Thanks so much for helping us narrow this down even more. We’re very glad to have a care sheet, as we are needing to learn if we are taking good care of him. He seems quite thin. We put a batch of approximately 20 crickets in the tank with him 4 days ago and I think they are all gone already!! Is that normal? Is there something else we can or should feed him? And how often? Also working on getting the temperatures right for him. Will look forward to learning more from someone with experience like you! Your lizards look awesome!!! Thanks for the reply!
sorry you can’t see out photos. They are posted at the following link on Flickr. Sorry I don’t know how to get them posted here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38991060@N02/3620008603/in/photostream

06/16/09  11:17pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: McMom   In reference to Message Id: 2023670

yes that is a pale agama. First off, spray him 2 times a day with luck warm water, he will drink up the droplets off his head. Buy some Vitamin powder for him (you can buy this at a petstore) and dip the crickets in the powder. Do not put 20 in at a time, he doesnt look healthy enough to be with 20.... the crickets will chew on him. If you can, buy frozen pinkie mice, thaw it out and open up the head and squeeze brain "juice" on the tip of his nose (as weird as that sounds) it will give him much needed nutrients. As for a basking spot make sure its a UV light. I use this one:

I buy the 75 watt one too raise the temps to at least 108F. The bigger the cage, the better.... 10 gallon aquariums are used, but not recommended...these are very active lizards. I hope this helps some!

06/17/09  04:30pm

McMom
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2024066

Thanks again for your guidance. I’ll describe our habitat so you can give us pointers on that too. (if you don’t mind)
We have him in a 10 gallon aquarium for now, although we realize that we will probably need to upgrade as he grows. For substrate we are currently using Aspen Snake Bedding, as that is what the pet store employee recommended (and we didn’t know any better) but we are wanting to switch it over to sand now that we know what type of lizard he is. This is another area where I am looking for more advice and guidance from you. What type of substrate do you use, where do you get it? Is sand the way to go? Do you recommend the "calcium sand", or not? If sand is what we need, should I get the sand from the store, or the can I get river sand? or maybe sand from our local concrete construction business? And what "grade and/or grit" do I need?
We are also still working on the temperatures. So far we are using an old heating pad under the warm end of the tank set on low, and the heat light above during the daytime. (We turn the heat light off at night)

We got a small "strip thermometer" today and it reads 95ish in the middle of the tank, 85ish in the cooler end where we do have a shallow water "dish" (actually a lid turned upside down) and it was over 100 in the warmer end of the tank. (thermometer only goes up to 100, but it was over that.) I am able to put my hand on the basking rock and leave it there so it’s warm to the touch, but not scroching...I’m going to estimate that we are pretty close to that 105 or a bit higher mark you mentioned. And the lizard does seem to like laying on it.
We have a flat dark colored "basking" rock that is about 7 inches long propped up on another rock on the warm end (under the light) and a 2" diameter tree branch that runs diagonally the entire length of tank. The low end is on the cool side and the high end is on the warm side, but not directly under the light. (Our lizard likes to sleep up on the branch (toward the top) at night)

Our light is a 60 watt, "Reptile Rays" light that’s made by GE. It says Neodymium Daytime Heat Light on the box. Simulates natural warmth for daytime. Brings out reptile’s natural beauty and color. Rare Earth neodymium provides a balanced light spectrum....all of that info is taken directly from the box. The pet store guy told us to get a 25 Watt UV light, (they were out) but first of all I couldn’t find one, and second of all, now that I have this 60 watt, I don’t think the 25 watt would be enough warmth! Believe it or not I actually found the "GE Reptile Rays" light at Wal-Mart, after looking at the Ace Hardware Store, and a lumberyard type store. (Menards, which is kinda like Lowe’s or Home Depot.) So I’m guessing that I’m glad I wound up with this 60 watt bulb. It seems to be working so far, but would still love your "2 cents worth" in this department too.

Also when we went to the pet store today for more crickets I looked from some vitamin powder or spray like you mentioned, but they did not have any. I think I can buy pinkies from the pet store, but I did not ask them. And I have no idea if they will be frozen or live, cuz I know that they have snakes at that store that eat them, but have never cared to ask for details...lol. So my questions on this subject are: Can I get feeding, and vitamin suppliment supplies online? If so, do you recommend certain brands, or certain website to purchase from?
At this point I bet you can tell I live in a smallish town, with only 1 pet store, and their goods and services are not all that great! So I am open to the possibility of having to do some online shopping to
get what we need.
Again I thank you for your time and assistance with us "newbies". And I’m sorry to ask so many questions. My son and I are sure learning a lot and having a lot of fun with him!
Gratefully yours,
McMom

06/18/09  08:39pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: McMom   In reference to Message Id: 2024883

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

One thing to know.. NEVER listen to petstore people!

Aspen is very dangerous to lizards.. if they eat a piece, they will get impacted and die. Dor now, while he "recovers" and gets healthy, put him on paper towel with some slate rock laying down to keep nails trim and to get some "Extra" heat if you have the bulb above the rock.Do not use calcium sand either. It is just as bad as aspen. Once he is acitve and healthy, you can use sand. Play sand from your local hardware store would be cheapest, but you can use sand from a petstore too....just sand..nothing else with vitamin stuff in it. make sure you have lots of slate though, and these guys like to climb and rest on branches or high rocks. With my agamas, I have them about 6-8 inches away from the basking bulb to get proper temps. If he is basking with his mouth open, that is a good sign. As for the lights you have, I dont know anything about them, but as long as it has UVA or UVB (both is better but I have been able to care for my guys without UVB for a few years).

Try and get a 20 gallon for him too. He will greatly appreciate it :)

Some links to look into

Vitamin powder.. make sure it is NO phosphorous
Link

Lightning:
Link

If you can, buy a DIGITAL thermometer like at Walmart or something that looks like this..those dial ones are crap :P

What you do with that is place the actual reader on the "cool" side and the probe on the hot spot to get a temperature reading. :)

06/18/09  09:09pm

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area