Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Agamas Forum

Deadvenom-x   Ouaf   Deadvenom-x   Ouaf  
 Member  Message

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Observations of Trapelus pallida

Trapelus pallida, the Pale Agama, also known as the Blue Bearded Agama. A quite rare, unknown species of Agamid with virtually no or very little information. These are my observations after a year of keeping them:

After seeing something I have only seen once before with my Pale Agamas (Trapelus palida) I decided to write out some things I have observed over time.

As a defense, They have a few threat positions and something I have recently "discovered" or observed.

My female, when aggravated, she puffs her whole body up, stomach, chest, and throat. she would sometimes make "clicking" noises, but you can feel it more then hear it (if that makes sense) and opens her mouth (sometimes). Only once have I seen my male puff up when upset.

Another observation, when frightened my female will have a sudden change in color, from her tan light colors to a dark, high contrast pattern and "play dead" once released, she takes off running (so fast you cant catch her...seriously)

Now, I’ve noticed this same behavior twice, only recently as well from my male. He is usually the most laid back reptile I have met. My first observation is the day I bought a flexarium to put them outside. My male loves the outdoors, or so it seemed. My female, always deathly afraid (plays dead like explained previously). However, the other day I had them out from 12-7pm. I checked on them periodically, misted them etc. As I went to get my male to put them in the enclosure, he "seizured", changed color from tan to white,flipped on his back with a small hiss and mouth wide open. After a few seconds, he flipped back over and went to the otherside as if nothing happened. Today, about 10 minutes ago, I went to check the side of his mouth for some weird discoloration, I gently rubbed it and once again, he opened his mouth, hissed, changed color, "seizured" again and flipped on his back. Once I let him go, he took off running.

As for feeding

My female will eat anything that wiggles, hops or runs. I noticed her "strategizing" (if that is a word) ways to grab a hold of super worms so they dont bite. She has learned this a think after her first attempt. Now I noticed she will grab it by the mid-section, bite, let go... then go for the back end, bite a few times... let go and once immobilized, she eats it.

As for my male, anything that is bigger then a meal worm, he wont touch. He has phases where he will eat crickets, then times where he is so picky, he only eats mealworms. Which he is going through that phase right now..which is a big pain in the arse.

Like chameleons, I noticed these guys are very color coordinated. When upset, they change colors from normal to a lighter color, when frightened then usually turn pure white or a vast contrast in color.high contrast in colors. When excited, my male turns a very blue color on his throat and sides, his head becomes grey and his color pattern is very bright. As for my female, I havent noticed anything. If my female is stressed, but not so much to "freak out" she has dark blue lines running down her throat. My male, when stressed turns blue on his throat and sides, with stress "markings" on his chest.

I do not know much about this, but I have seen my female do push-ups and "Wave". I thought it is the males that do this?

Oh, can’t forgetabout how they drink, my male archs his back, puts head down and laps up water runnign down his face. My female, literally tries to jump at the water falling ontop of her by lifting her head as high as she can, attempting to stand on her hind legs, "waving" one arm as if she is trying to climb the air.

Under a UV light, colors seem to be very plain, no pattern at all on my male. Compared to outside, All colors and pattern are exposed

These are just a few observations I have noticed.

some photos:

Male:

(supposed to be a white look here)

Female:

04/28/09  09:14pm

Ouaf
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 1994803

Hi,

Sorry to come late on this post
but are you 100% sure it’s Trapellus pallidus? it’s not Trapelus mutabilis here?

01/30/10  02:58pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Ouaf   In reference to Message Id: 2118739

Hard to say, they, to me are the same species. They have gone through so many name changes it is hard to keep up.

02/13/10  11:32am

Ouaf
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2123030

yes i know, i have 2 species of Trapelus:
like you but name trapelus mutabilis 1.1
and other sold like Trapelus pallidus more with one color not like mutabilis, and no blue like mutabilis for the male

T. mutabilis, for me with search it’s right name, old name agama mutabilis
the male is often with clear color
male without blue
Link
Link
male with blue
Link
Link
Link
female
Link

T. pallidus, normally more small that T. mutabilis and savignii
sold with name, don’t know it’s the real name because sub-species exist
Link
Link
Link

i had to use a product for tick when i bought them, because WC with many tick on them

now they are good conditions, i did a down activity in winter.
the female is very good , no problem to take her in the hand. it’s not the same with male, more speed but normal for WC

i hope this year for a reproduction period, the male’s moving his head and sometimes he runs after female, but not yet reproductive situation. (or not see)

i hope for us it’ll a success with them because they are rare on the market and so beautiful agama specie

02/24/10  03:29am

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area