Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Agamas Forum

Chris14   Chris14   Chris14   Chris14   Chris14   Kibalus  
 Member  Message

Chris14
View Profile

Butterfly agama

Hi at my local petstore they have a butterfly agma r they tame and it is pretty small maybe like 8 inches give or take how long can it stay in a 30 gallon tank? I have the time and money for it i have a plated lizard so tht is his left over tank and when will it outgrow the 30 gallon tank. And u can tell me anything else u want to.
thanks,
chris

12/24/08  02:28pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 1920031

Butterfly agama

Also how big do they get and how can u tell male from femal and what kind of UVB is best 10.0 5.0?
thanks,
chris

12/24/08  06:04pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 1920171

Butterfly agama

ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/29/08  07:15pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 1922556

Butterfly agama

NOBODY!!!!!!!!

12/30/08  03:51pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 1923214

Butterfly agama

No1!!!!!!i also upgraded his tank to a 50 gallon.

01/09/09  09:59pm

Kibalus
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 1929340

Butterfly agama

You should check out some of the other butterfly agama boards. Ive written quite a lot of info there but anyways

50gal tank is great, mine is also in a 50gal and is quite satisfied in it. Theyre very active so lots of room to run is needed. Also deep substrate is crucial. In the wild they dig deep burrows which ofc they cant really do in captivity so they tend to dig to the bottom of the tank and then claw away at the floor which with time destroyes their bones and causes them to loose fingers. Its really common in the species. If yours doesnt have the problem then kudos to you, but if it does dont worry about it too much, they can easily function without any toes (well at least mine seems content but she also has MBD (metabolic bone desiese) ontop of it so she breaks fingers very easily).

as for the UV that should be fine. Just make sure you get vitamin supplaments into her diet too.
Theres two species of butterfly agamas though, one is larger then the other -not sure of the names ive forgotten- but i know one of them gets to 60cm (with tail ofc) while the other one is 40 or so. I have the smaller kind and she is 30 with half of her tail cut off due to an infection she got at the petstore where i bought her.

you can tell males appart from females in most cases because males are a lot more colourful and have reddish sides while females dont
mine is female and she clearly has no red colour to her
(if you google butterfly agama pics youll see what i mean)

here is a picture of her:

anyways hope that answers your questions. Go to the other boards for more info on them c:

09/29/09  02:55pm

Back to Agamas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area