*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Katvice   Snakesitter   Katvice   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Katvice
View Profile

Ball Python in feed mode?

Hello there, over a week ago I purchased a ball python through craigslist. He is 7 years old and about 4 feet long. When I got him there were no issues at all, he was very friendly and very sociable whenever I would go to pick him up and put him back into the cage. Up until last Thursday was his first scheduled feeding day, I fed him a live mouse that was a little under his normal feeding size but it was the biggest "live" mouse I could find (the previous owner told me he would only eat live, and to only feed him inside his enclosure-because they have never had any problems feeding him inside his cage). So the next day he was still opening his mouth all day long searching for more food in the cage so I decided to try and feed him one of the frozen medium sized rats I had bought before purchasing him and I dangled it in the cage with tongs and he took it right away. So I thought he would be good to go, because that was plenty to eat. But everyday since then, anytime he sees me he goes straight into his strike pose or "feed mode" looking for more food everyday since last Thursday (so a week tomorrow). I don’t understand if he is still hungry? Should I feed him again? Was he starved before I got him? His previous owners told me he was not an aggressive eater but he had no problem at all snatching the live and frozen food right out from the tongs. I don’t know if I should feed him again tomorrow (his scheduled feeding day) or make him wait? I don’t want him to think anytime that he sees me it is feeding time? Someone please help! I have contacted the previous owner multiple times (they told me that I could) and have not heard a word back! I am afraid they gave me a "food aggressive snake" and now I am afraid to open his cage because he thinks I’m food, therefor he has not been taken out for about a week and it’s killing me! I want my sweet BP back!

08/17/16  11:31am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Katvice   In reference to Message Id: 2319310

Hi Katvice!

First, congrats on your new pet snake.

Second, always be careful of craigslist purchases. There are so, so many things that can go wrong.

Third, don’t let his behavior deter you from handling. So long as he does not smell food in the area and you move slowly and carefully, he should not attack you.

Finally, as for feeding – if he will take frozen/thawed, go with that, and I would feed a slightly larger meal every other week over a smaller meal weekly. Snakes are opportunistic feeders that will grab every meal they can get, as in the wild it could be three months before they can eat again. A less frequent schedule means less feeding stimulus, less poop to clean, and more handling time for you!

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

08/18/16  01:18pm

Katvice
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2319315

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am going to be feeding him again in the next couple days, I’ll keep you posted!

08/19/16  04:40pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Katvice   In reference to Message Id: 2319323

You are most welcome. Please do keep us posted, and good luck!

08/22/16  01:01pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area