Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Icearstorm   Icearstorm   Snakesitter   Icearstorm   Snakesitter   Rarejewels   Icearstorm   Rarejewels  

Member  Message

Icearstorm
View Profile

New Black Racer, Behavior Question

I just caught an adult black racer a few hours ago. He/she is 54.55 grams, at least 3 feet long, and appears to be in great health (minus one split belly scale and some scuffed-up dorsal scales). I probably won’t keep him/her for long, as I have a bird on the way, as well as one smaller southern black racer, Angel, which is about 2 feet long and 30.98 grams that was occupying the larger terrarium prior to the new snake’s capture (Angel is now in a smaller 10-gallon terrarium; too small).

Anyway, I’m wondering if the temperament of these snakes (being described as high-strung, aggressive, and generally hard-to-handle) are misrepresented, or if the two southern black racers I have are anomalies.
When I caught Angel, he/she was still a juvenile (blue-grey body and pattern resembling a dusky pigmy rattlesnake) and struck me a few times upon capture, but tamed down after a few days. Angel is now very tame and has only truly bit me once, about a week prior to symptoms of illness. (Since recovery, Angel has been quite tame, once again.)
This new snake bit me twice to the point of bleeding while I was catching him/her and freaked out for a few minutes after being placed in the terrarium, but soon calmed down and let me handle him/her without behaving aggressively or high-strung. The snake even allowed me to place him/her in a tight container for weighing.
I have been handling these snakes fairly carefully, approaching them slowly from underneath and allowing them to move around a bit, rather than holding them tightly. They usually act more aggressive and/or jumpy while I’m trying to get them out of the terrarium, but usually calm soon after removal from their "territories." Could my method of handling contribute to the seemingly calm/tame behavior of these snakes, or is it genetic?

07/03/16  05:19pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319005

***EDIT***
The scale malfunctioned (it was probably my fault). I weighed the new snake again because that weight seemed off, and the real weight is 70.01 grams.

07/03/16  05:57pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319006

I’m not a racer expert, but hopefully someone who is will be along shortly....

Make sure capturing and keeping is legal in your area.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

07/05/16  01:16pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2319021

Agreed. And yes, they are legal here; according to the FWS, pretty much any non-threatened reptile or amphibian is allowed (minus the venomous ones, that is).

*Update*
Since two days ago, the snake has already eaten once or twice... Seems to be a good sign.

07/05/16  03:02pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319022

Excellent regarding both local laws and feeding progress -- well done!

07/07/16  01:17pm

Rarejewels
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2319034

If you’re planning to get rid of one of the black racers, can you send it to me please? If you’re willing, I’ll send you a PM saying where I live if that’s possible.
God bless, Jason Irelan

09/02/16  01:17pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Rarejewels   In reference to Message Id: 2319391

Sorry, I returned both of them to my backyard about a month ago (to make room for birds).

09/05/16  05:10pm

Rarejewels
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2319426

Well if you see anymore, please think of me; or at least send me some pheromones so I can use them to lure a snake. I saw a black racer as I was walking home from the library, and it was by a creek. I was so frustrated because when I tried to catch it, it got away. It was sticking out of a bush. I hate that when they do that. I’m terrible at snake hunting, which is why I feel that people who breed garter snakes and charge an outlandish amount of money for them are trying to swindle people out of money because it’s the people who are hunting them that work harder. I don’t know why people have been saying racers are venomous. They do bite quite readily if you get a hold of them, but I never had to go to the hospital and be treated for a bite when I got bit.
God bless, Jason Irelan

09/06/16  12:50pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area