Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AppyGoLucky   Takahiro111   AppyGoLucky   Takahiro111   AppyGoLucky   Takahiro111   AppyGoLucky   Takahiro111   AppyGoLucky  

Member  Message

AppyGoLucky
View Profile

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

I know I’ve been going back and forth between a Rosy and a Ball. What are the significant differences besides size and how picky the balls can be? My parents have considered these two snakes to be okay. Also, would a 20 gallon be okay for a ball or should I definitely get a 29+ gallon? I’m trying to use my own money to get everything and only have a limited amount* but parent’s are willing to pay for some things. I’ve handled many snakes before, and know to let them settle in before handling of any sort. Finding a local breeder for both Ball Python and Rosy Boa has been difficult but the Ball Python breeders seem to be closer than the Rosy Boa breeders. I just want to make sure that what I get fits my experience level (Which is a beginner/first time owner). Thanks... Tips are appreciated.

*Notice: I am a minor who does not have job and my parents are willing to help. I know what my plan is to keep this snake as long as I can. If you have any credible websites for information, I would gladly like if you could link below.

12/17/15  02:30pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AppyGoLucky   In reference to Message Id: 2316131

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

As ball pythons are considered a beginner snake I don’t think so because their picky eaters, need some type of humidity but doesn’t need a big cage and don’t get big. I consider a kingsnake or corn snakes as beginner snakes because their easier than a bp and they aren’t pick eaters with kings requiring less humidity and they eat mice which costs less than rats(bp diet). Rosy boas I heard can be a bit snappy but are is small. A picky bp eater while be stressful for a beginner and feeding live is way to risky if not done right and most doesn’t eat ft prey while some do. A 20 gal is too small for an adult a 40gal minimum. Also see if your parents don’t mind sharing a freezer with dead rodents or if making weekly trips to a petstore killing the rodent or stunning them by breaking their necks or something. Also bps can get stressed easily. And small adult corns can stay in a 20gal.

12/17/15  07:09pm

AppyGoLucky
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316135

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

My humidity is high but as in moisture in the air not moisture in general. So, low humidity snakes are out of the question. This snake would not be around other people or animals and will be handled with the utmost respect. This includes a one sided view of the tank and plenty of appropriate sized hides. I know that Ball Pythons are picky eaters and can go awhile before they decide to eat again. Please do not deter me into getting different snakes. I looked at kings and they just weren’t a probable match. I might consider a corn but not my first choice. And while you can feed rats, you can also feed mice, as rats may not be of locality, requiring a feeding of two mice instead of one rat. But, then again, Ball Pythons are still picky eaters. I have no intentions feeding live, as that can be severely dangerous. So, now I know that I need a 40+ gal for a BP and a 15-20 gal for a Rosy Boa. Thanks.

12/18/15  12:31am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AppyGoLucky   In reference to Message Id: 2316140

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

Its always better to feed the right size rodent to a snake then shove 2 smaller sizes down its throat but a 40-55gal is good just don’t get a big cage to stress the snake and good luck on the new snake :) I also wasn’t deterring you into getting another snake just telling other options if it may fit you if a bp or rosy wasn’t ideal.

12/18/15  01:51am

AppyGoLucky
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316142

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

Sorry if I sounded snooty. I do appreciate your comment! I will take everything into account.

12/18/15  02:01am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AppyGoLucky   In reference to Message Id: 2316143

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

Its okay dont worry about it but did you decide which snake?

12/18/15  12:32pm

AppyGoLucky
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316147

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

It’s still a very hard decision. I’m leaning more towards the Ball Python but I know how difficult they can be when it comes to eating.

12/18/15  10:10pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AppyGoLucky   In reference to Message Id: 2316166

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

If you do tons of research then your okay their pretty easy to keep but easily stress so too much handling is stressful for them.. congrats when you get him/her. I’m about to get a mohajve female or lesser to go with the male

12/19/15  12:08pm

AppyGoLucky
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316170

Rosy Boa vs. Ball Python

Always, always, always do my research! There is this gorgeous Mojave but I’m also liking this one Fire. I wish you the best of luck with your soon to be :)

12/19/15  03:22pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area