*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bluee   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Bluee   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Bluee
View Profile

Good snake for a pet?

Hi, i’ve had a ball python for about 7 years now and am thinking about getting another snake. i was thinking maybe somewhere along the lines of a boa or another species of python, but i was also considering maybe a rat or king snake of some sorts. i want a snake that’ll grow to be a bit larger than a ball python, but not too large. i was also looking for a bit more lively of a snake regarding it’s temperment. my ball has been a trooper for me, never given me any problems and never aggressive. he’s kind of a shy at times though.(as would be expected from a ball) I’m looking for a snake that’s a bit more unique and active. i have a snake dictionary and i was looking through it today, but i’m not exactly sure of certain snakes temperments or how difficult it would be to find a captive bred one. I’m not really looking for any venomous snake or anything the size of a full grown burmise python. Let me hear some feedback and tell me what you guys own and they act, what kind of trouble they do and don’t give you, etc. Thanks!

12/12/15  03:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bluee   In reference to Message Id: 2316063

Good snake for a pet?

If you want a nice size boa then look into some dwarf species like hog islands, dumerils, Nicaraguans I have all 3 and their amazing although hog islands are expensive especially for pure bred ones. To get nicer coloration hogs have been crossed bred with other boas like red tails thus making them larger than the average pure hog island. Now if you want a python carpets and black headed pythons are nice. Also rainbow boas are awesome but the humidity needs are high and a must like they’ll literally dies of dehydration without it in like a day or two. Blood pythons can be a bit temperamental and edgy but cool. Every snake will have a different attitude and personality and that goes for any reptile/animal. I have some nice reptiles like my burm and water monitor then I have some means one like my Iggie’s and croc monitor (rescue) who trys to rip my hands off anytime they get. Hope this helped and good luck!!!

12/12/15  05:04pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316064

Good snake for a pet?

I agree, dwarf/smaller boas are a good bet: highly interactive and not too hard to keep.

Rainbows are not as sensitive as suggested above, but still do require extra maintenance on humidity and temps -- though if you can get past that, they make *amazing* pets.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

12/14/15  01:50pm

Bluee
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2316096

Good snake for a pet?

i’ve been considering either a cali king snake or a different species of python like the guy above you suggested. what do you think?

12/15/15  09:04am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bluee   In reference to Message Id: 2316105

Good snake for a pet?

Cali kings are nice as well. A little fiesty as babies but some grow out of it with constant handling I have a baby cali and he’s okay when he wants to be but has amazing appetites eating whatever you give readily accepting f/t mice.

12/17/15  09:14pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area