*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizardbeth   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Lizardbeth
View Profile

Neosporin+pain relief on boa?

Ever since she got her new cage, my adult boa constrictor sometimes becomes agitated and rubs her nose on the plexiglass door repeatedly. I have been troubleshooting the issue and it is frustrating. Sometimes she starts doing it for obvious reasons, such as after she defecates or when it’s getting to be time for another meal. She defecated last night and must have rubbed her nose all night because today I noticed a region of irritation near her nostril. The skin was not obviously broken, but was red.

I’d seen neosporin recommended for sore noses by many sources, so I borrowed a tube from my friend and dabbed some on. Then I read that neosporin+pain relief is harmful to snakes, and is even used to euthanize frogs! To my horror I realized that I had used this variety. I wiped it off as best I could with a damp paper towel...is she going to be ok?

03/25/15  11:55am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Lizardbeth   In reference to Message Id: 2312882

Frogs handle things differently but I use neosporin for my lizards if something happen like nose rubbing and it heals. My adult snakes never had any problems for me to use it so I’m not sure but nothing should happen but if your really worried contact a herp vet and ask.

03/25/15  01:33pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312884

I’ve heard that the "plus pain relief" formula is not good for use with reptiles. There is another triple-antibiotic crème often recommended in its place called Polysporin.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

03/25/15  01:57pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2312888

BTW, check the plexi door to make sure there are no rough areas...it should be tough to cause an injury on a smooth surface.

03/25/15  01:58pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area