Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Frichard   Snakesitter   Frichard   Cphill58   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Frichard
View Profile

Substrate

I am trying to find a natural substrate for my Angolan Python display cage. I know aquarium gravel is bad, but I was wondering if the gravel/dirt mix from dirt roads would be ok (I would not collect from the road).

03/10/15  07:50pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Frichard   In reference to Message Id: 2312700

Substrate

I would avoid anything from outdoors, frichard -- you never know what bugs or illnesses might track in with it. Your best bet is to visit a garden supply center and buy a bulk bag of bark or moss or something similar, and just make sure it has not been treated with unusual chemical or additives. Low cost, lasts a long time. Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

03/11/15  02:05pm

Frichard
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2312705

Substrate

Sorry if I did not make it clear. I would buy it from Home Depot or somwhere like that. I’m just curious if it could cause any problems that somthing like aspen would not.

03/11/15  10:02pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Frichard   In reference to Message Id: 2312711

Substrate

Many soil products used for growing plants and vegetables contain fertilizers and small particles of moisture absorbing synthetic pieces. We try to avoid those and purchase only organic topsoil... sphagnum moss ... childrens playground sand and soils free from chemicals. Many barks have dye (the large decorative barks) which I avoid. Some of the mid west and eastern states have Cypress Mulch which is excellent for high humidity if you moisten it. Out west we have to purchase it at a reptile expo or the retail pet stores. The process for cypress Mulch is rather simple the less expensive mulch is ground / shredded 1x and the slightly more expensive is ground / shredded 2x. The finer the better IMO.

Coconut Husk is rather harsh and doesn’t retain moisture as well. But it can be adequate for some reptiles.

Not to argue with Cliff, but you can bake soil from outside in an oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F to kill creepy crawlies and bacteria/ fungus/ mold...etc. Thus rendering your homemade soil sterile.

03/12/15  12:46am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2312718

Substrate

Fair point. I just prefer to err on the side of caution. And I always, *always* avoid buying substrate from reptile stores or shows...I know cases where buyers have had mites hitchhike into a collection.

My preferences, if you need to retain humidity without molding: orchid bark, coco husk, and eco earth, supplemented by a moist moss-packed hide.

03/13/15  01:57pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2312729

Substrate

Should I buy substrate online then because I always went to either petland discounts,petco or petsmart for substrates? And I stopped using moss because for some reason it started to mold and it was pretty scary....it wasn’t wet it was damp sometimes but I’ll mostly sprtz it with water.

03/13/15  05:46pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312733

Substrate

You can do it on-line, but if you use a reptile-affiliated store make sure to check and/or treat it first as CP suggested.

Moss should not mold so long as get the right type. Have you tried sphagnum?

03/16/15  02:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2312778

Substrate

Okay thanks :)

03/16/15  03:07pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area