Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jackettbeardie02   Snakesitter   Jackettbeardie02   Cphill58   Snakesitter   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Jackettbeardie02
View Profile

Mites?

One of my friends found what looks to be a very skinny rat snake that possibly has mites. I haven’t seen anything but a picture. We had a very cold night last night and I think that could also be an issue. What should I do?? And how should I treat it?? Thanks

12/10/14  07:15am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Jackettbeardie02   In reference to Message Id: 2311271

Mites?

Jackettbeardie, make sure you (or your friend) quarantine the new snake from any existing reptiles, both due to the mites and any other possible issues.

My favorite anti-mite product is a spray called "Provent a Mite," and can be ordered either from a local store or on-line. Pre-treat the quarantine enclosure with it, then follow the directions on the can. Remember to watch out for/treat for the usual second wave.

I’m surprised he was out and about in the cold!

Good luck with him,

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

12/10/14  01:47pm

Jackettbeardie02
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2311279

Mites?

He is currently in quarantine and being treated twice a day. I’m using mite off because it’s what I could find and in the estates there aren’t Many pet store options. I only saw a picture before but now that I have the snake I can see that he has a swollen face has been attacked by something and can only open half of his mouth. I also think he may be dehydrated. Tomorrow I will soak him in some warm water and I read to put corn syrup on his face to bring down the swelling. Sorry for such a long message but I’m getting so many different answers. Thanks!!

12/10/14  06:09pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jackettbeardie02   In reference to Message Id: 2311281

Mites?

In all my years I have never heard the corn syrup home remedy...where did you read / hear this ....I am dying to know and see it myself? Personally I think it is a farce ...but then again I might learn something???

Due to the fact he was possibly attacked and suffering from wounds and possible infection. there are 2 ways you can attempt to help the snake.
1 find an exotic vet ...that has some experience with reptiles. ask about the fees for 1st visit and medications.
2 begin to treat the snake yourself with simple medications that are tried and true .

List of items for first aid

Triple antibiotic ointment (clear)
Betadine solution
foam ear cleaners

Soak the snake in warm water and make sure it drinks
Mix a solution of Betadine and water 50/50 until the color of ice tea is achieved. Place the snake in a container with the solution and a lid with air holes... make sure the fluid level is high enough to cover the snake and allow it to breathe. Soak until solution is no longer warm. Don’t let the snake drink the solution * pre soak in water so the snake drinks clean water*

After the soaking rinse in warm water and dry Apply neosporin ( triple antibiotic) to the wounds but not in the mouth.
Set up a hospital tank with a clean towel and slightly higher than normal temps...NO SUBSTRATE to stick on the ointment you applied.

Treat the snake in this fashion 2-3x a week for the soaking... and daily applying ointment with the foam ear cleaners...or fingers.

Snakes can be very resilient. I had one escape for 3 months and was bitten or attacked by something and he is 99.9% today with a minor scar. He was dehydrated and hungry but other than the scabbing on him at the time he was ok.

If the snake does not improve quickly and makes a turn for the worse I can only wish you the best of luck and hope he is not to far gone.
If and when you decide to try to feed him offer something smaller than you normally would ...but offer 2 or 3 of those items if he is interested.

Soaking will also help you identify mites as they will drown and sink to the bottom of the container...they will not all drown but some will....and keeping him on a white towel will reveal even more evidence in the days to come.

if you have a confirmed case of mites ...the pet store product will not be good enough. get the PRO VENT online and order it ASAP.

Or read this long article
get rid of mites

Hope he gets better ...

12/12/14  03:23pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311321

Mites?

^^^ Another excellent answer. ^^^

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

12/16/14  02:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2311376

Mites?

LOL...I try Ciff
I really do wish they would come back........

Have a Merry Christmas and Grand New Year

12/19/14  07:39pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area