Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Carlo69   Takahiro111   Carlo69   Takahiro111   Cphill58   Carlo69   Snakesitter   Cphill58   Snakesitter   Cphill58   FloridaHerps01   Snakesitter   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Carlo69
View Profile

Elegant Racer

Hello guys its pleasure to be a member and I have a question. .
Recently I have got an elegant racer snake and its almost 50cm tall and its been with me now for almost a month without eating anything and all it think of is escaping. I did try to get all kind of food that I would believe that it would eat... but without any use. What I did try to feed it is:
1- Pinky ( small mouse)
2- live small fish
3- bird egg
And non of that it did eve eat... while its moving alot. can anyone please help me and tell me what to do??

11/30/14  01:36pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Carlo69   In reference to Message Id: 2311085

Elegant Racer

What is your setup like??

11/30/14  03:49pm

Carlo69
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311090

Elegant Racer

How can I send you a pic of the tank??

12/01/14  07:18am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Carlo69   In reference to Message Id: 2311100

Elegant Racer

Either on here or by email...some people use photobucket

12/01/14  09:00am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311102

Elegant Racer

Open a free account at any photo site(Flckr or Photobucket) and upload pictures to create an album . Then post the link to the album in this message box... we can then see the photos in your album.

For example I have numerous albums for different species on Photobucket...some are public ...some are private.
here is 1 of the public albums...with a california king snake.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/cphill58/library/LAGUNA?sort=3&page=1

12/02/14  12:14am

Carlo69
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311106

Elegant Racer

Link

12/02/14  01:52pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Carlo69   In reference to Message Id: 2311110

Elegant Racer

In addition to picts, please post your temps and humidity. This will allow us to help you better.

Thank you!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

12/03/14  02:41pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2311125

Elegant Racer

This species is restricted to warm biotopes where it is found in hard, light desert soil and gravel desert. It is not found in rocky areas or in sandy dunes. It feeds on small rodents and lizards, and can be found in rodent burrows. Gasperetti (1988) indicates that this species is nocturnal, however diurnal activity has been observed in Israel (Babocsay et al. 2009) and it may be the case that activity patterns in this snake are linked to local climatic factors (Y. Werner pers. comm. June 2012)

Reference: Playtcyeps elagantisssimus

Notice it is not adapted to SAND. But rather hard compacted soil or gravel... fine gravel. It looks like you have aquarium sand in the tank?

Experiment with different substrates, including a clay based soil or something that cakes hard after it dries out from moisture. Dirt from your local field ...baked in the oven to sterilize at 300-350 F for 15 minutes to kill any bacteria / parasites / mites etc.

Offer 2 or 3 hides ... a rock hide made of plastic ...maybe a plastic plumbing pipe... a cardboard tube... partially buried on 1 end to simulate a burrow. Possibly a larger enclosure might be required.

more images are on Google ...look at this type of pebble sand
substrate

I dont know yet what your temps are but you can simulate the average temps from this graph... you can even simulate a hibernation period in the winter and increase the chances of it eating as you raise temps...slowly 1 or 2 degrees C a week after the winter period... you can manipulate temps weekly ...lower ... then a month later bring them up to a weather condition...and finally a summer peak. I am not suggesting cooking the snake at 40-44 C C but find a happy medium for a hot spot. Turn off the lights at night to simulate a night temp drop. But keep a heat pad under the glass stuck to the tank to maintain a warm area if needed.

weather average

Finally... from my experience I have snakes that do this same behavior during the spring USA months ...especially the males. They refuse to eat and are constantly on the move as if to escape. They are actually actively looking for a mate. There is nothing I can do to make them eat or stop the search...finally after a few weeks they settle down again and eat readily.

There is little information about this exact species ...but you can compare it to other racer species for more insight.

Thats all for now
Cheers

12/03/14  08:58pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311129

Elegant Racer

^^ Great answer!!! ^^

12/05/14  02:18pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2311148

Elegant Racer

Thanks Cliff

we sure try... too bad they never find the way back here....

12/07/14  07:19pm

FloridaHerps01
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2311215

Elegant Racer

You may want to try offering lizards as well as the other food you have offered. I have kept Southern Black Racers and Eastern Coachwhip snakes, both belonging to genus Coluber. Granted these are very different racers than what you have.

Due to the lack of extensive information on your species compared to kingsnakes, ball pythons, and other common herps, I am going to guess it might be WC or from WC parents. If that is the case, while they may eat rodents, most WC or 1st gen captives that have lizards, frogs, or snakes in their diet - as well as mice - will typically prefer and only take lizards, frogs, or snakes.
People can get captive bred and born Southern Black Racers to eat mice. All mine have always been WC or 1st gen captives and would only take lizards and nothing else.

An idea to mimic a mouse burrow that I have used with Mole Kingsnakes is submerge a narrow PVC pipe or paper-towel tube into the substrate. In addition, add more rock hides and fake/real foliage to the surface to add to a sense of security. Many snakes of all species refuse food if they feel insecure.

Also with the male mating response. Some North American Colubrids also engage in the food-strike during winter from November until February. They seek a hibernating/brumating female in her retreat during winter, wait with her, and when spring comes will mate with her as her activity picks back up.

That is one pretty snake you have there, best of luck with it!

12/07/14  08:31pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: FloridaHerps01   In reference to Message Id: 2311221

Elegant Racer

^^ Another great response! ^^

12/08/14  02:04pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2311246

Elegant Racer

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON ...lol