Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mr. Nyoka   Takahiro111   Mr. Nyoka   Mr. Nyoka   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Mr. Nyoka   Takahiro111   Mr. Nyoka   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Mr. Nyoka   Snakesitter   Cphill58   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Ball Python with a tear in his skin

I have a male Ball Python, roughly 10 years of age. He is a rescue so I don’t know his full history but he was about 3 feet long when we got him a month ago. He weighed 348 grams, which I’ve come to realize is quite thin. He’s been eating regularly every 5 days or so and has now reached a weight of 418 grams.

The problem I’m having is that he has a couple of spots on his left side, upwards from his vent that seem to be irritated or infected or something else that I don’t know about. These spots are usually protruding from his side and while they don’t appear to be filled with fluid, I feel they have the properties of being filled with air instead. Depending on exactly how he’s positioned, they may look full and bulbous or they may not even be apparent. The skin doesn’t seem to be attached to his body...at least not strongly enough.

He’s a very mild tempered snake. He seems to love to be taken out of his terrarium and very rarely shows signs of stress or fear. Other than his skin/scale condition, he seems to be the perfect snake.

The only other issue we’ve been having is that he now has a tear or cut in his scales. It’s about 2 inches or so long and the skin in that area seems to be unattached as well. We’ve been following the advice from an online care sheet and cleaning the site, putting Neosporin on it and not handling him as much, as this is all we can do right now.

Like I said, he was a rescue, from a much crappier situation and my wife and I aren’t able to pay costly vet bills at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll be posting some pictures as well but if someone would like any more info or pics to help us with the situation, I’d be more than happy to oblige.

Cheers

11/03/14  11:57am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310651

A pic can help to determine how bad it is but the way you described it, it sounds bad so if any substrate is in his cage remove it and keep it clean until he can see one. And if I may ask did he cut himself?

11/03/14  01:20pm

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310652

I’m pretty sure he cut himself on one of the new hides we introduced after getting him. I should have known better and checked it before using it. I did clean and sanitize it properly but didn’t think to check for sharp areas...after we found the gash, we did find it to be rather sharp in certain areas. Of course, we took it out immediately. Thank you for the advice about removing the substrate. I will do that right now and put paper towels down. I tried to upload a picture of the original problem but it didn’t seem to work, I guess. I’ll try to figure out how to post one in my next reply. Thanks again.

11/03/14  01:31pm

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310653

http://postimg.org/image/lf8uj6c23/

http://postimg.org/image/4fzw3x0uj/

http://postimg.org/image/hp97qa07f/

11/03/14  02:12pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310654

Mr. Nyoka, kudos to you for giving the snake a better home. I can’t see the picts right now, but I agree with removing any substrate -- use paper towel to line his cage, which is not only clean but will make it easy to spot any "leaks" from any of his wounds. I will try and check the picts later. Good luck!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

11/03/14  02:20pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310653

Your welcome... a vet can give the right ointment or whatever procedure but until you see one let the snake soak or give him a bath in bedadine/idodine diluted warm water until it makes a tea color and don’t let him drink it then dry him off and put the neosporin on it. He’ll probably be stressed because the cut is hurting and will be protective/defensive so don’t bother him unless your tending to his wound and do this every day because you don’t want an infection and he might go off feed.

11/03/14  02:22pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310656

Having seen the wounds now, those both look pretty serious. The lumps could be anything from a cyst to an active infection. Have they changed in size, shape, or quantity at all? That cut is pretty long, too -- how deep is it? If only surface or slight, do as Takahiro recommended and use a Betadine soak followed by antibiotic cream. If deeper, you may need to bite the bullet and get the animal to a vet. Usually there is at least one in any city with reasonable prices.... Good luck, and please keep us posted!!!

11/03/14  08:24pm

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310661

Hi, thanks for all your replies. I had a vet tell me that pretty much ANY topical cream or ointment isn’t recommended for snakes in general but I would love to hear your feedback as well. As far as the slash goes, it isn’t deep. It’s obviously broken through the scales but it doesn’t go further than that. That is the absolute least of my worries. Right now I’m just trying to figure out what the bumps or blisters are on his side. They worry me more than anything because I don’t know what caused them. I have Googled the out of my computer and haven’t come up with much useful information. If anyone knows...or thinks they may know what this is, a point in the right direction is all I need. Thanks, again for the responses. I appreciate it. Mr. Nyoka does as well :)

11/03/14  08:39pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310662

I know he’s gonna be mad but if you touched the blister does. it feel like fluid is in it? Or a hard lump? Because it can be a cyst from an infection like snakesitter said or it can be an abcess(spelled wrong). Since its that big it has to be removed or drained because if it pops and it has fluid in it, it won’t be good for him. Reptiles can get similar health problems just like us and bacteria don’t take long to.enter a open wound but an infection can start showing a couple hours to a day or so especially in these guys because stress makes the infection spread quicker. But you cleaned the hide before you used it so the cut must’ve got infected from the substrate before you switched to paper. I used the roll gauze when I rescued 2 water dragons for their broken tails..can u use it on a snake to keep bacteria out?

11/03/14  10:21pm

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310664

To be honest, he doesn’t seem pained by any direct contact with any of the wounds. He didn’t even seem the slightest bit stressed until we took the substrate out, along with all other non essentials. I’m just guessing that he may feel a bit exposed with everything missing. When I touch the bubbles, they seem similar to blisters. Only, with them, it seems they’re filled with air and not fluid. They’re easy to press all the way down, in fact, when he’s slithering around in some positions, they kinda disappear. You can still tell there is something not quite right but only if you’re looking for it.

I really wanna get him to a vet but that’s gonna take some time. I’ve always subscribed to the old saying "If you can’t afford the vet, you can’t afford the pet." But like I said before, he was very underfed and even though he was seemingly healthy, it was obvious the previous owners didn’t know enough/care enough to even own a ball python. My wife and I took him from a bad situation and made it somewhat better but the cost is getting out of control. I love him to death but I’m starting to wonder if re-homing him might be a better idea since we can’t cover the vet bills that he will undoubtedly rack up.

11/04/14  07:21am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310666

It would be sad to see him go to another home when you obviously care for him. You might try contacting your local herp society (=reptile club) or reptile rescue to see if they have any recommendations on either his condition or inexpensive vet care. For example, is there a vet school near you that might provide low-cost care to help train its students? Know that if you surrender him, male ball pythons are not in high demand, so he may not find an owner that cares as much.

Good luck!

11/04/14  01:58pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310666

You just took him from a bad home so how you know the next person won’t be the same or even worse I can tell you and your wife love this snake and this was an accident and vet bills are ridiculous and its times when I can’t take my pets right away and I’m 18 so I struggle with work and school so I can have the money for them. My 7 foot water monitor was fighting with my savannah monitor and he’s only 4 feet and I don’t have the money now so I do home treatments. And reptiles are good for hiding pain..I’m also pretty sure who ever made that saying had hard times with vet bills to so keep him. How is he doing now? Did he eat or drink? And he feels too exposed so put atleast two hides in there like a cave so he won’t stress out cause these are shy snakes. If its not pus or fluid then that’s good and you don’t have to take out the accessories just the substrate and hide that cut him. And people really don’t care for males they’ll want many females instead...you guys are very committed I can tell.

11/04/14  02:18pm

Mr. Nyoka
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310669

Thanks, again, to everyone who has responded. To both recent replies, I will definitely not let him go to a worse home. When I talk about re-homing him, what I mean is maybe sell the tank and such and give him to a rescue...if there are any that will take him and treat him properly, while giving the proceeds from the terrarium sale to help the rescue with any costs they may encounter. I would love to keep him but not at the expense of his well-being.

To takahiro111: He seems to be doing alright, although he’s gotten a bitey lately. I’m no stranger to a ball python so I’m not scared of a few bites...it just concerns me because that means he’s probably stressed or in pain and feels vulnerable. No matter, though. I’ll still continue to take him out and do what needs to be done. The accessories have only been taken out to avoid him rubbing up against them with his cut. They would normally be considered harmless but since he already has a nice gash on his side, I figured it’s better just to be safe. He eats regularly but is still underweight...about 420 grams, which I know is quite small for a 10 year old BP. His previous owners were only feeding him twice a month and they couldn’t even give me the name for the size of mouse/rat listed on the package, let alone the weight of the meals they were giving him.

Again, I really appreciate the replies here. Of course, I’ll keep this updated so that it may help someone else scouring the archives in the future.

Cheers

11/04/14  04:19pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Nyoka   In reference to Message Id: 2310677

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

11/05/14  01:57pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310703

We rescued a rainbow boa some years ago ....and some here will remember that story. She was emaciated and upon feeding her a steady diet she developed the exact SAME SOFT PLIABLE LUMPS... Initially the vet was worried and did some quick tests ...they turned out to be fatty deposits from rapid weight gain and they were not harmful in anyway or form. Eventually they became unnoticeable and basically dissolved...or she evened out.

She remains with us today inspite of all her abuse from others...over 12 tears of age if my math is fairly accurate

Good luck with yours.

11/08/14  12:58am

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2310781

Wow, never would have guessed. Good news though! (And the story is new to me, so it must have been some ago.) Thanks for weighing in with good news!

11/10/14  01:40pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area