Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takahiro111   Xkabx   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Xkabx   Takahiro111   Xkabx   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Takahiro111
View Profile

Aggression after surgery

For 13 years he never been aggressive but recently he got oral surgery to remove imbedded pieces of bark substrate from his mouth which is my friends fault. And he’s pissed at me I guess because he was in a cramped hospital cage for a week but he wasn’t moving much. He hasn’t eaten for more than 2-3 weeks and he just got his stitches out and I risk my fingers to hold his mouth open so I can rinse it daily...so I told a little background info so will he calm down a little and I don’t interact with him just for now.

10/10/14  07:51am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310263

Aggression after surgery

ive never had to have a snake operated on but I did have a snake that I had to give daily injections to for a long period of time. she used to be super friendly and curious but as the days went on every time I took her out it was for a shot, eventually she caught on and as she got better it was more and more of a fight to get her out. once the shots stopped she stuck with the attitude of "you aren’t gonna get me outta this tank!" even when I did get her out she was never the same. I think these animals have more going on then we give them credit for because I swear it was like I had lost her trust and she was mad at me, struck at me a few times too!

that snake never fully recovered and sadly has since passed so I cant tell you that I was able to gain her trust again but I think she would have come around eventually.

dealing with your snake is a different story, I had to secure my snake but you have to secure the head whole nother ball park. it may take some time after all the treatments are done but I do believe eventually yours will forget and move on.

good luck with the treatment and I hope your snake makes a speedy and full recovery!!

10/10/14  02:09pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2310276

Aggression after surgery

Sorry to hear about both of your situations. :-( I agree snakes are "smarter" than people credit them with. I bet yours will eventually forgive, but it may take time!

Fingers crossed,

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/10/14  02:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310279

Aggression after surgery

Thanks and I’m sorry to hear what happened to your previous snake I can never give mine injections its just a fear of hurting him lol...I also can’t guard against the head because I have to open his mouth and keep it rinsed out so my fingers are in there like 24/7 lol. He didn’t bite me at all its just when I hold his mouth open I guess the water burns it a little and his jaws closes by mistake on my hand but for some reason it doesn’t hurt I think because its not an aggression/feeding response bite but it suprised me...and he’s recovering quick and I’ll tell him you cared :)

10/10/14  07:22pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310290

Aggression after surgery

someone once asked me for a pic of the inside of the same snakes mouth, I wasn’t gonna try and do it by hand, she was a big girl and I was still fairly new with snakes so I used a probe to do it (a probe is pretty much just a thin round piece of stainless steel about the length of a pencil but thinner) it worked great and kept my hand a safe distance away from her mouth. another trick, when I took her to the vet he used a credit card to hold her mouth open while he took a swab of her mouth, looked pretty simple and again kept his hand a good distance from the teeth.

10/11/14  08:38am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2310297

Aggression after surgery

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it I’ll look into getting one after I get off from work and I tried the credit card thing before for my red tail and it bruised his mouth a little....I was being careful(he had a loose tooth from striking at the glass he went to the vet the next day for xrays and was ok). But where did you get the probe from xkabx?? I knew he didn’t bite down on anger because if he did I would’ve been in the hospital getting stitches lol.

10/11/14  08:47am

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310298

Aggression after surgery

a long time ago I bought an entire probe set, 5 or 6 different sizes. If I remember correctly I got them on ebay for like 20 bucks.

10/11/14  01:11pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2310300

Aggression after surgery

Okay thanks again

10/11/14  01:30pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310302

Aggression after surgery

If you go the eBay route, takahiro, remember to disinfect them in rubbing alcohol or bleach solution.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

10/13/14  01:50pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310315

Aggression after surgery

Thank you so much...he’s calmer everytime he’s out...he shedded and he’s back to his original self but I’ll still get the probe and clean it...I know some people go against free roaming but its been improving his attitude not to mention he ate for me today :)..but he’ll be back in his cage tomorrow before I go to work/school.

10/13/14  03:38pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310316

Aggression after surgery

Congrats on good progress.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/15/14  02:11pm

Takahiro111