Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Snakesitter   Xkabx   Snakesitter   Takahiro111   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Snakesitter
View Profile

Yolk Baby

Last year, Living Gems experienced our very first “yolk baby.”

We discovered her still buried in the slime pile -- quite literally: she was underneath the newspaper, which was drenched in clear thick birth sludge. At first we thought she was a stillborn, but that passed as soon as she started trying to defend herself against the unwanted intrusion of my hand.

After several minutes of struggle with slimy paper and slippery baby, we managed to untangle her from the mess and place her in a drawer:

We kept her very warm and humid to prevent the yolk from hardening. We gave her a day and a half to work it off, then decided to remove it ourselves. But when we set up to operate, we found she had knocked it off herself. A day later, most of the umbilical cord fell off as well. As her belly was still very large, we then added a 40-hour heat pack to give her a boost in digesting any absorbed yolk.

She thankfully pulled through fine, and after two sheds looked like this:

One year later, when she was finally sold, she was a perfectly healthy little girl who has eaten 32 times and shed eight times. The last photo I have of her was from December (aged four months), and she looked like this:

Score one for baby boa resilience!

May this year’s litters be just as tough.

Thank you for reading,

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/08/14  01:59pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Snakesitter   In reference to Message Id: 2310238

Yolk Baby

I gotta couple questions for ya cliff.

first one is about the yolk baby, ive only ever bred ball pythons, would this be similar to yolk belly in them? they can get huge hard masses inside which either need to be forced out, usually ripping the snake apart along the way, operated on, or they die.

another q I thought of from the pics has to do with color. that baby looks pretty pale, was that because of the yolk baby situation or are they all pale when born and "color up"? if it is a "color up" with brbs, is it gradual? looks to me like her oranges are getting intenser in each pic.
Im a sucker for color changes, have a black milk, very cool to watch an animal change colors

back to the yolk baby, i love the pics as usual, especially the one on the blue, she is ready to attack in that and looks stunning all at the same time, awesome!

instead of wishing your litters are just as tough this season, I want to say that I hope you can have a smooth sailing kinda season, drama free, just tons of little healthy noodles everywhere! you’ve had your share of rough ones, lets see an easy one come your way!
and good luck bro!

10/08/14  02:31pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2310239

Yolk Baby

I’ve never bred balls, so we may be two ships passing in the night. ;-) But rainbows too can have yolk belly, which is why I added the heat pack after she dropped her sack and cord, to help her digest that lump. The problem only comes if the yolk is allowed to harden.

Rainbows usually start off duller and then color up significantly with their first shed. However, being premature makes that even more true. She was duller than her littermates, if I recall right. (Rainbows, in fact, continue to slowly gain color until between 18 and 30 months of age, which is why it’s tough to pick the star of any litter – time can change results!)

Thanks for the comments on the photos. We try! I chose the blue backing especially for her “formal” shoot, as it contrasts well with her color.

And thanks ever so much for the well wishes! I could use a year of smooth sailing!!!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

10/10/14  02:21pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2310239

Yolk Baby

I’ve seen some breeders that breed rainbows but your the top breeder to these snakes on my list lol...your litters be on point with everything its absolutly amazing if I ever add a rainbow or know anyone who wants one I know who to get in contact with!! Keep up the good work but I have a question do rainbows come in diffrent morphs like some other snakes??

10/10/14  07:29pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310291

Yolk Baby

Why thank you, Takahiro -- I really appreciate that!

Rainbows are very young in terms of morph development. Hypos and aneries are the only common ones. Albinos are new, and people are closing in on ghosts. There are also a number of pattern variants (bullseyes, pearls, stripes), some of which are claimed as morphs by some breeders. As time goes on, the number of morphs will increase quickly.

Right now LGR has confirmed we have hypos. This year, in fact, we should have our first litter of het hypos.

Let me know if I can help further!

10/13/14  01:48pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area