Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Cphill58   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Some but defentetly not all :P of 2014

10/04/14  12:40am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2310176

they are as listed as photoed
zebra tail lizard
sidewinder rattlesnake
sidewinder rattlesnake
sidewinder rattlesnake
desert hairy scorpion (small)
desert hairy scorpion (large)
red racer
red racer
red racer
long nose leopard lizard
long nose leopard lizard
southern desert horned lizard aka horny toad
glossy snake
chuckwalla lizard
California king snake (banded phase)
California king snake (banded phase)
spotted leaf nose snake
spotted leaf nose snake
San Diego alligator lizard
great basin gopher snake
great basin gopher snake
western banded gecko (spotted phase) found a ton!!!!!!! of these guys this year
western banded gecko (spotted phase)
great basin gopher snake

10/04/14  12:49am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2310179

Wow that’s amazing...sidewinders confuse me a little like isn’t it difficult to move sideways

10/04/14  07:47am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310181

no for them its a very greatly adapted tool used to help them move across soft sand and sand dunes which is where they are most commonly found or washes with soft wind sand. it also helps them not have all of their body on the ground at the same time, so their not burning their body in the scorching sand. their are a few species that do it.

Quote:

Sidewinding is accomplished by simply lifting all the segments with the same slope off the ground.

they almost through themselfs into small loops sideways where usually only 2 spots are touching the ground at any time. its very effective given where they are usually found

10/05/14  02:47pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2310191

That’s amazing...kelso I’m sorry for the questions its just you don’t see something like this where I live but how to they catch prey..do they ambush it??

10/05/14  04:36pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310195

they can move like other snakes in a straight pattern.... but they choose more to side wind.... and i don’t mind the questions its fine lol ..... and yes they do tend to ambush most of the time, they coil up and bury themselfs partially like in the first sidewinder pic, and lie and wait all night and sometimes even for days usually near rodent burrows or rodent trails waiting for a mouse, rat, even some small lizards to pass, within striking distance and BAMM their goners. but they will sometimes go down rodent burrows in search of prey.

sidewinders are neat little snakes, my favorite north American snake for sure. they are very active and curious snakes and fun to watch.

i was un-lucky enough though to have been bitten by one back in 2011 lol , 4 days in the hospital 12 vials of anti venom, whole arm bruised up to the shoulder, and arm and fist the size of a boxing glove later i made a full recovery lol

10/05/14  09:02pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2310196

We Left Utah and headed for California Sunday ... at Primm Nevada (stateline) traffic was miserable at 4 PM... But I thought of you Kelso as I crawled across the highway headed for Baker and Barstow

Had to relieve myself off the shoulder of the road ...and since traffic was so slow it wasn’t a problem to stop on the emergency lane and take a hike 100 feet away into a culvert with a drainage tunnel that ran under the freeway Didn’t see anything but tracks in the sand...lizard feet and tail ...but inside the tunnel there were huge black widow webs and lots of new white egg sacs.

Wish I had more time to trapse around it was just the right time to start looking.

Thanks for sharing

10/06/14  11:12pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2310214

Cool picts, I’m jealous!!!

10/07/14  01:34pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area