*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Sirene   Takahiro111   Sirene   Takahiro111   Sirene   Snakesitter  

Member  Message

Sirene
View Profile

Ringneck snake

this evening while i was on training at my new job( i am working at a community clubhouse) i was making rounds with my supervisor while she casually mentions that occasionally they will have unwanted "visitors" i.e anoles/geckos/snakes/spiders around the pool, patio and playground area. did i happen to mention this is south florida? lol. she mentioned usually they will exterminate them and blah blah blah. at around this time, my supervisor notices a small snake attached on the edge of the kiddie pool. she starts freaking out and doesnt know what to do, so i offer to catch it. after successfully getting the hatchling( no kidding this thing is no thicker than yarn and only about 4-5 inches long) into a cup, then secured into a water bottle with air holes, my supervisor immediately suggested getting rid of it, as i could not release it out into the grass area. so i offered to take it home. poor little guy :( immediately i recognized it as a ringneck snake, but of course did a little resaearch to make sure. i am not familliar with this species and would certainly appreciate a little background knowledge and steps on what i should do next? should i release it? if so what would be the proper environment? is it possible to keep it? would it even thrive? if it is a possibility, what would be an ideal set up. i just got home from work and would seriously appreciate any answers that could help this little guy out. if any of you guys know someone who specializes in these snakes, please dont hesitate to refer me to them. :)

09/27/14  06:46pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Sirene   In reference to Message Id: 2309999

Ringneck snake

I.would release it because he’s considered wild caught and ifyou put him in a tub or tank he’ll get stress refuse food thendie...he probably has a gut load of parasites since he’s not a cb snake. Release him somewhere where theirs no traffic,domesticated animals or humans around.

09/27/14  07:13pm

Sirene
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310002

Ringneck snake

yeah, i figured as such. lmao theres a decent wooded area with a lake not to far from where i live and i think ill set him out there tomorrow. im grateful to be able to help out this snake, and to also have had a chance to educate a couple of coworkers that snakes are not horrifying, venomous aggressive creatures lol they really seemed taken aback that i could care for anything less furry than a puppy.

09/27/14  08:47pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Sirene   In reference to Message Id: 2310007

Ringneck snake

That’s good...I try to educate people on reptiles so I’ll take my 7’ monitor 4’ monitor and 17’ albino burm outside to show that these amazing creatures mean no harm...but ofcourse I make people keep their distance because they don’t know their scent and will attack but their calm around me. The smaller ones like my kingsnake,water dragons etc..I let them handle and most people bought them reptiles. But I tell them to stay away from the big boys until their more experienced lol...but what your doing is amazing and I hope people take your advice.

09/27/14  09:41pm

Sirene
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2310009

Ringneck snake

yeah, amazing that youre able to keep a burm lol i live in florida and that just isnt an option here anymore. i meet people regularly who always have the same rude and closed minded comments and like to throw all reptiles into one category; that is of man eating snakes lol. do you know how badly i face palm when people ask if a corn snake can eat them? its sincerely ridiculous! people also tend to have qualms with the fact that im female and am not freightened to handle reptiles, i dont know anymore if its a florida thing what with all the" burms in the everglades" or if people really just are that ignorant :( either way thanks for the advice, and thanks for the good work you do on behalf of the reptiles!

09/27/14  10:47pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Sirene   In reference to Message Id: 2310010

Ringneck snake

Well done, Sirene! On behalf of the little guy, thank you! I agree with letting him go, and it sounds like you have the perfect spot in mind.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

09/29/14  01:55pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area