Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

*Snakes-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Cphill58   Takahiro111   Snakesitter   Kelso reptiles   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Takahiro111
View Profile

Walk in cage

Has anyone build a walk in cage?? I want to buy one from cages by design for my albino burm... would this be a good idea I also found out he will climb to explore more...would it be good for red tails too?

09/03/14  06:33pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309384

Walk in cage

if it would be a good idea can be a hard question, cause burms are not much arboreal snakes, so they tend to find compact spaces, which is why most pythons that are not arboreal such as ball pythons and burms and rocks etc have smaller cages, because it helps them feel more at home, more confined and safe, infact many ball pythons can even get stressed if put in too big of a cage, also why many breeders put them in tubs, besides being easier to clean and keep etc. that’s why a 4foot long ball python will stil feel at home in a 40 gallon tank,
but every snake is different, for instance my ball python was actually arboreal more say... at about 9 every night he would come out of his home and climb all over the branches in his cage (the tank was about 2 and a half feet tall) and in the middle of the top where the plastic is, their was a piece that went down the middle for support of a piece of glass cause the cage was originally a fish tank modified for a snake. and every night he would coil up on the middle much in the shape of a emerald tree boa or green tree python coils on a branch. at first i thought he was stressed, but turned out to be a pattern and he did it every night for the past 7 years i had him. never refused a meal except when i tried to switch him from live to frozen (he ate live when i got him )

no but ive always wanted to build one for a couple emerald tree boas, like take a small greenhouse about 10x10x10 or so, seal it up put some small screen pars for air, put some misters, some fans(for air flow to prevent stagnant air), some heat lights atop and a thermostat for constant temps, put mulch and soil at the bottom with some live plants along with some fake branches all through the cage, and put a few emerald tree boas in their.
that is and always will be my dream ( i wish it will come true one day haha but sounds and is pricey ) if i hot the lotto tho haha
this guy below has some amazing emerald tree boas
emerald tree boas

09/03/14  07:06pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2309389

Walk in cage

Lol...but since its a big NO for my burm what can I put in there..like an aboreal type of monitor or something??

09/03/14  09:10pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309402

Walk in cage

well im not saying its a no, just saying it could cuase stress but every snake is different, i mean you could try, but then it could be a waste if he get stressed out.

not many would even need a walk in, except something large like a crocodile monitor, or a komodo.
but have you seen emerald tree monitors their beautiful, and arboreal.... if i get another reptile it will probably be one or a pair of those!!!

09/03/14  09:56pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309402

Walk in cage

Hi Takahiro...
CAGES BY DESIGN are over priced and fall apart after a few years service. The laminate gets wet and swells and buckles. It is not a product that will stand many years of abuse by water and urates and feces. You would be better off building your own or hiring a cabinet shop in your area to custom build. For the money you will get a much better product.

Arboreal or ground dwelling aspects are up to you ...you can offer both at least if you build 4 feet high or 6

If you want a great source of information and a friendly response ...seek out JAY BREWER of PREHISTORIC PETS on the web ...or facebook and ask if you can speak to him or his staff ...he will answer your questions personally and guide you professionally to sources that will amaze and astound anyone looking to custom build. If you have a zoo near you contact them and ask about the amazing enclosures that are built just for large snakes and reptiles. With fiberglass and epoxy based interiors that are waterproof forever.

I own 2 Cages by design enclosures 6 x2x2 and house a 10 foot retic and the other an 8 foot redtail. I purchased them used and had quite a bit of fixing up to do ...including re caulking and sealing. I expect in the next 5-6 years they will be worthless. All particle board products suffer like this and Cages by Design is not exception.

Here are a few links to Jay Brewer...

Jay Brewer

Prehistoric Pets

09/03/14  10:00pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2309405

Walk in cage

Omg thank you you just saved me like thousands of dollars...this is why this site needs people like you guys cphill58 and kelso :) I suck at building stuff so I will have to wait until my friend comes back from afganistan(spelled wrong probably) in april. I’ll look into it and go to the zoo a couple of block from home before I go to night school.

Kelso isn’t tree boas and pythons aggressive and only for display? I give my reptiles privacy as I do minimum handling now but I’m worried about getting bit if I take out a tree boa or python to clean his cage...I’m a clean freak lol I keep all their cages spot clean.

09/03/14  11:49pm

Snakesitter
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309411

Walk in cage

Great answer, Cphill58!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

09/04/14  02:09pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309411

Walk in cage

they can be aggressive, but what ive seen is its mostly the wild caught imports that tend to be more aggressive, they do make beautiful display snakes though.

09/04/14  03:39pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2309441

Walk in cage

I’m just a little worried if I walk in to clean the cage and it strikes me.

09/04/14  07:56pm

Back to *Snakes-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area